Help, send txt to email address

davidwilp

Reaction score
On my old (non smartphone) I was able to send a text message to my email address. I simply went to contact and chose my email as the recipient. Now, in the Thunderbolt, when you go to messages and contact list it doesn't even show you anything entered in the email field. I was going to enter the email address as a phone number but when entering a contact it doesn't give you a QWERTY keyboard to enter with.

Any ideas on how I can send a text message easily to an email address?

Thanks

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Works here just fine, Just sent one to the wife.

New message
typed her email
text
hit send

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just sent one to myself, same way as Bnb did. New message, entered my email address, wrote the text and send. Worked fine.

OP
D

davidwilp

Reaction score
Yes, I can type in the address every time but that is a pain. What I want to be able to do is select it from a list. Email addresses are not a choice when you go to messages and then contacts

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Yes, I can type in the address every time but that is a pain. What I want to be able to do is select it from a list. Email addresses are not a choice when you go to messages and then contacts

Text app looks for contact information that is tagged "Mobile"
So no mobile tag, no drop down.....

OP
D

davidwilp

Reaction score

Text app looks for contact information that is tagged "Mobile"
So no mobile tag, no drop down.....

So no way to do what I want? Have to type in the email address every time?

OP
D

davidwilp

Reaction score
Problem Solved

Just wanted to update here in case anyone had the same issue. I found out today why it wasn't displaying the email address as one of the options when selecting a contact to send a text message to.

I had to go into messages>menu>settings>Recipient list settings> then check the box next to "Show email address, include email address in recipient search results"

Now the email address shows up as an option to choose when selecting a contact to email.

Shanan0201

Reaction score
Davidwilp you are awesome! Had this feature set on my Eris but could not figure out why it would not show up for my Thunderbolt. Thanks so much for posting :icon_ banana: