HELP***Roaming Over Seas***

Taino2539

Reaction score
I am going over seas in a few months. After talking to about 20 customer service and global support associates, i finaly got them to add the global unlimited data plan, that was recently changed to a pay tier plan. My concern now is the roaming charges that can get high just by leaving your phone on. Does anyone know how to get by not using the roaming or getting charged for it? as i plan to use alot of data.:greendroid:

jbdow

Reaction score
If i'm understanding this correctly, then there's no way i know of.
The system will know you're roaming....every kb

r, john

IslesFan

Reaction score
I am going over seas in a few months. After talking to about 20 customer service and global support associates, i finaly got them to add the global unlimited data plan, that was recently changed to a pay tier plan. My concern now is the roaming charges that can get high just by leaving your phone on. Does anyone know how to get by not using the roaming or getting charged for it? as i plan to use alot of data.:greendroid:

If your not kidding about them getting the unlimited globalemail(How did you pull that off????) then using data shouldn't be an issue. You will however, get dinged for text messages and voice calls. If you are forwarding your voice mail to google voice or something similar, turn that off as you can be dinged for the call forwarding too.

EDIT: You can have them block text messages while roaming... if you are afraid of people messaging you.

Last edited:

TinMan09

Reaction score
im here in afghanistan and its really not bad. i get good service and yeah you get charged like 2.86 a minute for talking and .50 to send a text, but just tell everyone to send you emails instead. ive got skype and google talk on the phone so i use those through the unlimited data and it turns out great. my bill for me and my wifes phones is only $300 a month.

silver6054

Reaction score

If your not kidding about them getting the unlimited globalemail(How did you pull that off????) then using data shouldn't be an issue. You will however, get dinged for text messages and voice calls. If you are forwarding your voice mail to google voice or something similar, turn that off as you can be dinged for the call forwarding too.

EDIT: You can have them block text messages while roaming... if you are afraid of people messaging you.
So you got them to add it as unlimited? As Islesfan says, then data isn't an issue. But I am sure we all want to know what you said to get them to give you the old plan!

TinMan09

Reaction score
Hmmm didn't know there was a new global data plan. I guess they're grandfathering me cause I've had unlimited global data since june when I first came over here.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL

silver6054

Reaction score
Hmmm didn't know there was a new global data plan. I guess they're grandfathering me cause I've had unlimited global data since june when I first came over here.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL
Yes, if you are grandfathered you are OK, but if you remove it when you return to the US, you (probably) won't be able to re-add it later.
The new plan is just horrible, $100 for 70MB per month in Europe and the Caribbean with ~ $5 per MB over, cheaper in Canada and Mexico, but everywhere else it's over $20 per MB with no allowance!

Hence the questions to anyone who succeeds in getting the unlimited plan added after the cutoff (Jan 16!)

OP
Taino2539

Taino2539

Reaction score
So i guess I dont have to worry about about roaming fees if I have the unlimited global data. Just text message and call charges right? I plan on using skype too. I got the unlimited Global Data Plan put on after the 16th, it is the old plan that was just taken off. I found out that they had taken it off 4 days after the 16th, and after talking to 20 or more associates and telling the same story that i was in the millitary and am going over seas and that this was the only reason i got the phone and was told id be able to put it on when ever i deployed when i first got the phone, someone from global support was able to find the code but not the plan and emailed it to her higher ups and asked if they would be able to add it on for me for the same original price. I got a call 2 days later informing me that the plan has been added to my account. So there is still a way to get it added but you might have to talk to alot of people before you get it done. Id call Global Support. Half the people fed me the same crap that it could not be added and that i would have to use the paid teir option.:motdroidhoriz:

IslesFan

Reaction score
So i guess I dont have to worry about about roaming fees if I have the unlimited global data. Just text message and call charges right? I plan on using skype too. I got the unlimited Global Data Plan put on after the 16th, it is the old plan that was just taken off. I found out that they had taken it off 4 days after the 16th, and after talking to 20 or more associates and telling the same story that i was in the millitary and am going over seas and that this was the only reason i got the phone and was told id be able to put it on when ever i deployed when i first got the phone, someone from global support was able to find the code but not the plan and emailed it to her higher ups and asked if they would be able to add it on for me for the same original price. I got a call 2 days later informing me that the plan has been added to my account. So there is still a way to get it added but you might have to talk to alot of people before you get it done. Id call Global Support. Half the people fed me the same crap that it could not be added and that i would have to use the paid teir option.:motdroidhoriz:

Be sure not to use the Verizon version of skype... as that WILL use your minutes. Use the one that uses data.

For text messaging... get a google voice account... then use the app overseas.

OP
Taino2539

Taino2539

Reaction score
I guess i would download it (SKYPE) from the apps. Would it replace the skype that came with the phone already from verizon? and will it tell me if it uses the data? How do I go by setting up the Google Voice account? Sorry, Im new to this.

IslesFan

Reaction score
I guess i would download it (SKYPE) from the apps. Would it replace the skype that came with the phone already from verizon? and will it tell me if it uses the data? How do I go by setting up the Google Voice account? Sorry, Im new to this.

At least on my phone.. I have two skype apps.. the verizon one, and the other one. The non verizon one should be using data, not calling a number in GA when I make a skype call.

Go to google.com/voice for google voice.

OP
Taino2539

Taino2539

Reaction score

At least on my phone.. I have two skype apps.. the verizon one, and the other one. The non verizon one should be using data, not calling a number in GA when I make a skype call.

Go to google.com/voice for google voice.
Thanks, will try later today.