Help retrieving SMS from dead Razr Maxx HD

siobahn

Reaction score
So I dropped my Razr Maxx HD last night and the screen is now busted; however, I was still receiving text messages etc, as I could hear and see the notifications, though I couldn't get to them anymore.

Getting a new phone through insurance but want to get my SMS from this phone, especially the ones I couldn't retrieve last night.

Any ideas on if there is a file/database I can grab through Android File Transfer (the phone still works, technically, I just can't actually do anything with it, so it does allow me to get access to the filesystem using that tool)?

I found a bunch of suggestions about looking for /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/mmssms.db and a few other files, but I can't find them using android file transfer, I don't know if the program just isn't allowing me to see them or not...

And for some reason adb isn't working for me...

Any suggestions out there? Any other way to access the filesystem?

Thanks!

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
You should post in a more general forum so more people see this. This question is not PHONE MODEL SPECIFIC and what works on an S3 to do this will probably work on a Moto.

jake_444

Reaction score
Forward Messages

Hello.

I'm sure you must have hooked up this phone to your large screen TV via HDMI, if only to try it out. I actually spent most of a snow day home from work watching Netflix from my phone because the kids had kidnapped the Roku and gone skiing. I did not suffer a bit and was pleased how well it looked; just an occasional dither here and there.

So do this and when logged in, forward these items to a Google Voice number or other free texting service. You could also use a screen capture app and record the messages as images. Not perfect, but should keep you in play until the replacement comes.