Help droid razr black screen no function!!

usranger80

Reaction score
I installed Go Launcher tonight just to check out the ICS theme and wanted to go back to stock launcher, could not clear defaults so I just deleted Go Launcher and now I have no home screen and no functions, I have tried the hard restart power/volume down, but still nothing....what can I do to fix this?

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
When you do the hard reset (power / vol button) does it reboot?

Are you sure it was charged and maybe just didn't die due to battery life?

steeletown

Reaction score
black screen

the same thing happened to me tonight did you find a solution?

steeletown

Reaction score
I had the exact same thing happened to me today do you have any ideas

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I had the exact same thing happened to me today do you have any ideas

The problem is a known issue with the stock launcher not being automatically set as default once a third-party launcher is removed. The solution is to FIRST install Moto Home Fix, and before you uninstall the new third-party launcher, you run Moto Home Fix. Unfortunately I know of no way to resolve the problem once it has reverted to the issue you are dealing with.

I do want you to try one possible fix. Power down the phone, by pressing and holding both the <down volume> and <power> buttons. Keep holding till the phone is completely shut down. Then press and hold the <power button> until you see the red "M" logo. Then release the power button and instead press and hold BOTH the <down volume> and <up volume> at the same time. Again, keep holding both until the phone's vibrator buzzes one short and one short and one long buzz.

This will put the phone into "Safe mode". If the screen and home buttons work, then there is the possibility to "fix" the default home key by going to <settings> <Manage Apps> and then scrolling to "Homescreen". Try clearing defaults first if you can. Then try the home button. If it works or it asks you to choose a default, you may be good to go. You may also wish to try Force Stop and Clear data, although Clear data will set you back to the default screen apps/widgets and wipe off the ones you have setup previously.

Then reboot and try it to see if you've fixed it. Let us know how it goes.~~;)

monkey_man

Reaction score
Hmm this kind of story makes me think that really the cause of BSOD is centered to 3rd party home launcher. My Brother's phone never had trouble after he uninstalled his, yet I had my third BSOD yesterday. I think the last phone with option to change homescreen default is Droid 2 global. Droid Bionic didn't have this option which is the same with Razr phones, so I can see possibility of conflicts. Unlike yours that had "seemingly permanent" BSOD because you deleted that 3rd party launcher, my phone system perhaps confused which homescreen to use and caused BSOD that is fixable by holding power and Vol. down together.

jselwa

Reaction score
I do want you to try one possible fix. Power down the phone, by pressing and holding both the <down volume> and <power> buttons. Keep holding till the phone is completely shut down. Then press and hold the <power button> until you see the red "M" logo. Then release the power button and instead press and hold BOTH the <down volume> and <up volume> at the same time. Again, keep holding both until the phone's vibrator buzzes one short and one short and one long buzz.

This will put the phone into "Safe mode". If the screen and home buttons work, then there is the possibility to "fix" the default home key by going to <settings> <Manage Apps> and then scrolling to "Homescreen". Try clearing defaults first if you can. Then try the home button. If it works or it asks you to choose a default, you may be good to go. You may also wish to try Force Stop and Clear data, although Clear data will set you back to the default screen apps/widgets and wipe off the ones you have setup previously.

Then reboot and try it to see if you've fixed it. Let us know how it goes.~~;)

FoxKat, I am having the exact same trouble as the OP. I tried your suggestion by clearing out the Home data and then I deleted Go Locker and the underwater theme, the ICS theme that was still present that went to Go Launcher, and then went to the Market and reinstalled Launcher Pro. Shut down and restarted phone, and initially it came up with BSOD, but then as it settled in Launcher Pro resurfaced. Thanks so much!

Last edited:

pcardinal42

Reaction score
same problem

I deleted the go launcher phone just had a black screen, did the safe boot, settings, home page. It brings it back to the factory icons. Rebooted it just fine just have to remember where I put everything now.

bullswife98

Reaction score
Wow! Was just reading this thread and honestly didn't know this could happen! Good to know as I'm using Go Launcher now and never knew about what happens if I delete this and how the stock launcher as issues comming back. Just installed Moto home fix just to make sure I don't have this issue if I decide to uninstall Go Launcher. Good to know! That's why I love this forum... always things to learn! Thank you for this and hope the OP figured out a fix.

Sent from my Droid Razr to your eyes! :)

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
FoxKat, I am having the exact same trouble as the OP. I tried your suggestion by clearing out the Home data and then I deleted Go Locker and the underwater theme, the ICS theme that was still present that went to Go Launcher, and then went to the Market and reinstalled Launcher Pro. Shut down and restarted phone, and initially it came up with BSOD, but then as it settled in Launcher Pro resurfaced. Thanks so much!

So glad it worked for you. I struggled with that for a while a couple months ago and finally stumbled upon the solution after many hours of google searching. The Moto Home Fix tool takes care of it much easier and more efficiently.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk