HELP! Battery Stats crashes on Droid 2

xmguy

Reaction score
When I try to run the battery usage app within the settings it crashes and force closes. I have no clue what is going on. I resently removed some bloatware (Blockbuster, vz nav, skype, amazon mp3, kindle, etc). I didn't remove backup assistant.
I just want to fix this but have no clue as to what is going on.

Sent from XMGUY's Droid 2

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
I'm getting a replacement droid 2 today (unrelated issue). I can flash the sbf to this phone and make it like it came from vzw. I'm wanting to have an idea what is causing this so if I use a nandroid backup the problem doesn't carry over.

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
If you have the most recent update it's been doing that since. Sometimes when you restart your phone it wont force close, but it'll do it most of the time.

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
I'm running the most resent software. The battery usage screen is the only app that FCs. Restarting doesn't help.

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
Restarting doesnt always help, but even if it does it's rare. Don't worry though, this happens to anyone with the newest software update. unless I missed something, there has not been a fix yet.

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
I did a factory reset leaving root and bootstrap installed along with the removed apps. Battery usage started fine. So it's something I've installed or changed in the settings.

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I wish that were the case, but I'm pretty certain this glitch is random. I tried exactly the same thing you did, thought it was resolved... it worked consistently for about a day and a half... and then I got fc spontaneously. Maybe this is a unique and isolated incident that only occurred for me. I suppose its possible there was something I overlooked, but I did spend sometime trying to pinpoint the cause, i didnt get anywhere. I wasn't able to reproduce a particular sequence or circumstance that consistently resulted in battery stats opening nor force closing. No matter what I did, the outcome was completely random. I decided to stop bothering with it. I feel like checking the stats page throughout the day is not really that valuable; it doesnt provide any novel information...the basic synopsis usually ascerts - that the screen display is responsible for the majority of the batteries activity, and which ever app is the one used most frequently comes in seccond place.

Instead of bothering with that, I went about a different approach and changed my goal;
I currently use the app tasker to automatically display a list of battery information (in plain text format) whenever I unplug my phone from the charger. The information it provides is:

Present status: discharging
Power Plug: unplugged
Battery Level: 80
Battery Scale: 100
Battery Health: Good
Battery Voltage: 3850 mV
Battery Temp: 30°C
Battery Technolgy: Li-ion
Time Since Boot: 14:36:52

With tasker you can turn your tasks into simple widgets, so alternatively [or in addition to] this stats output can be initiated by pressing a button on your home screen.

That's all I really need as far as stats... I am far more concerned about how the device actually performs throughout the day, and for that;

I use tasker to automate turning the GPS on or off depending on weather or not I am viewing google maps or another application which requires gps, a battery demanding service. I also made a few simple tasks to alter the screen brightness depending on my current phone activity (wether or not I'm browsing the web or just hitting next on my music player). The list goes on; this program is probsbly the best app for optimize your battery usuage because it enables you to custom tailor your phones behavior to best fit your personal habits.

If you do end up figuring out the cause of this annoying glitch, I would be happy to finally know what influences this sporatic behavior, but I'm just warning you.. if you encounter another completely random fc like I experienced, then I suggest you stop wasting anymore time investigating this issue; if the problem cant be narrowed down after conducting a controlled experiment, I say.. wait for the next android upgrade... theres a high probabilty that its been reported enough times to get addressed in the upcomming release.

If I did something differently than you then I am completely not aware of it. After trying to solve the exact same mystery and tackling it in an identical manner, I felt obliged to gives you the heads up of what I concluded; its not worth it.. just some info that will tell you your batteries dying. It can be completely ignored and worked around easily, these phones are capable of a bunch of stuff that's way cooler and more useful than that.

-WugFresh

Sent from my DROIDX

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
Yeah I just checked mine and it's working right now, but I'm pretty sure it wont be next time. Like you said though, it's really not worth the hassle trying to make it work 100% as it's not worth it.

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
Same here. I tried it a few minutes ago and it worked fine. But then I tried it later and it FCd again. I read somewhere here it was a glitch in the 2.3.20 software. Leave it to Motorola to mess this up. The Vanilla Droid 1 didn't have issues like this.

Khiraji

Reaction score
Huh... well I'll be damned, and I thought I'd broken my D2. Glad to know that others are having the battery manager FC issue (well, not glad that we're all having a problem, but at least I'm not alone!)

My D2 used to crash battery manager somewhat often, but after I did a factory reset I haven't managed to get it not to crash once. Like has been mentioned before, battery manager isn't really a mission-critical function, but it's still irritating. Maybe it's my OCD - knowing that something, even something mundane, doesn't work on my phone bugs me.

Here's hoping a fix for this comes soon!

EDIT: Just booted into ClockworkRecovery and used the "wipe battery statistics" option - and battery manager opens now! No idea how long/if it will last, but it's worth a shot.

Last edited:

TAfirehawk

Reaction score
Even the Clockwork fix won't last forever, at least on my R2D2....this issue requires Motorola to fix their crap.

This is just one of those things we have to live with while living on the cutting edge....and loving it here!!! :)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wish that were the case, but I'm pretty certain this glitch is random. I tried exactly the same thing you did, thought it was resolved... it worked consistently for about a day and a half... and then I got fc spontaneously. Maybe this is a unique and isolated incident that only occurred for me. I suppose its possible there was something I overlooked, but I did spend sometime trying to pinpoint the cause, i didnt get anywhere. I wasn't able to reproduce a particular sequence or circumstance that consistently resulted in battery stats opening nor force closing. No matter what I did, the outcome was completely random. I decided to stop bothering with it. I feel like checking the stats page throughout the day is not really that valuable; it doesnt provide any novel information...the basic synopsis usually ascerts - that the screen display is responsible for the majority of the batteries activity, and which ever app is the one used most frequently comes in seccond place.

Instead of bothering with that, I went about a different approach and changed my goal;
I currently use the app tasker to automatically display a list of battery information (in plain text format) whenever I unplug my phone from the charger. The information it provides is:

Present status: discharging
Power Plug: unplugged
Battery Level: 80
Battery Scale: 100
Battery Health: Good
Battery Voltage: 3850 mV
Battery Temp: 30°C
Battery Technolgy: Li-ion
Time Since Boot: 14:36:52

With tasker you can turn your tasks into simple widgets, so alternatively [or in addition to] this stats output can be initiated by pressing a button on your home screen.

That's all I really need as far as stats... I am far more concerned about how the device actually performs throughout the day, and for that;

I use tasker to automate turning the GPS on or off depending on weather or not I am viewing google maps or another application which requires gps, a battery demanding service. I also made a few simple tasks to alter the screen brightness depending on my current phone activity (wether or not I'm browsing the web or just hitting next on my music player). The list goes on; this program is probsbly the best app for optimize your battery usuage because it enables you to custom tailor your phones behavior to best fit your personal habits.

If you do end up figuring out the cause of this annoying glitch, I would be happy to finally know what influences this sporatic behavior, but I'm just warning you.. if you encounter another completely random fc like I experienced, then I suggest you stop wasting anymore time investigating this issue; if the problem cant be narrowed down after conducting a controlled experiment, I say.. wait for the next android upgrade... theres a high probabilty that its been reported enough times to get addressed in the upcomming release.

If I did something differently than you then I am completely not aware of it. After trying to solve the exact same mystery and tackling it in an identical manner, I felt obliged to gives you the heads up of what I concluded; its not worth it.. just some info that will tell you your batteries dying. It can be completely ignored and worked around easily, these phones are capable of a bunch of stuff that's way cooler and more useful than that.

-WugFresh

Sent from my DROIDX

Everybody who has a Droid 2 should have this issue. If they say they don't, they've been lucky.

From time to time the battery usage function works on my D2, most of the time it doesn't. Hopefully an update will fix it. But switching devices won't.

stevenfmurray

Reaction score
I don't regularly use the battery manager, but reading this prompted me to do so...and I have the same issue.

However, *#*#INFO#*#* still works, and gives great usage stats. Because I don't use it regularly, I don't remember what other features battery manager has.

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
My Droid X has this issue too. Im guessing since they are related and running Blur. Yes I now have a Droid X not 2.

Sent from XMGUY's Droid X.