help a noob understand flasing roms

ziggityz

Reaction score
help a noob understand backup/bootstrap

First off I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum, and I am am very noobish with roms, so please try to resist the urge to flame this post!

I just rooted by X2 and haven't really done anything with that freedom yet, mainly because I don't want to brick my phone being 8 months away from a new phone. I was going to flash either eclipse or the CM7 port from xda. My question is with bootstrapping/backup. I understand how to perform the bootstrap and even the flashing of the new rom but I want to keep all my apps, all the data from all my apps, (example, angry birds progress, evernote notes, photos, contacts etc) will the bootstrap recovery keep all this info, or do I need to pony up the $6 for Ti Backup and back all my info up that way. If I need to use titanium back up, do I just back up before I flash and then once my new rom is installed open up ti backup and recover all my data that way? I know this has probably been asked a million times, sorry, but I just needed a clear answer for my question and knew I could get it here..thanks.

Last edited:

music life

Reaction score
Well i think CM7 will not let you keep contacts. Bc i had the same question for the person who helped me. As for the apps, I used ti backup(free version) and idk if it saved the info over. lol :s I know that some games like the words with friends games you just use your same log in email and all your old games are saved.

Move all photos over to your SD card and they will be saved. Also try copying your contacts to your SDcard or send them to your Gmail so you can try and upload them after you get CM7***(Not 100% sure if that will work for contacts)*****

I just downloaded angry birds and all my info is gone :/ havent tried to see if i can find it somewhere. Ask trip. he is the DX2 CM7 genius lol.

all that is only my little knowledge for CM7 tho. eclipse i have no knowledge about.

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
sync your contacts with lookout or gmail
if you haven't been using gmail to sync
the first gmail sync may wipe phone contacts

use sms backup +, for sms and call log
auto syncs with gmail
you can backup apps with tb but if you restore the data with the app on a different rom you may have fcs
not sure about angry birds

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

Trip3601211

Reaction score
Well i think CM7 will not let you keep contacts. Bc i had the same question for the person who helped me. As for the apps, I used ti backup(free version) and idk if it saved the info over. lol :s I know that some games like the words with friends games you just use your same log in email and all your old games are saved.

Move all photos over to your SD card and they will be saved. Also try copying your contacts to your SDcard or send them to your Gmail so you can try and upload them after you get CM7***(Not 100% sure if that will work for contacts)*****

I just downloaded angry birds and all my info is gone :/ havent tried to see if i can find it somewhere. Ask trip. he is the DX2 CM7 genius lol.

all that is only my little knowledge for CM7 tho. eclipse i have no knowledge about.

Hahahaha thanks man. I have my noobish side too, just learning n teaching as I go. I've flashed Eclipse, MIUI, and CM7. Have to say CM7 is the best out of the small amount of ROMs we have. As for the apps and data, there is also an option in recovery to backup/restore...I usually back up both internal and external just in case if somthing is somewhere it shouldnt be. Once you backup, you start the flashing of ROMs, gapps, and MODs. After your system is rebooted and you start up your ROM, if you have ROM manager or an app/apk exractor, you can then look into your backed up files and it gives your options on what you want to back up of your backed up nandroid. I believe it should restore no problem. Contacts best bet that worked well for me is to go into all contacts and make sure they're all being stored in your google account NOT backup assistant. Resync once after completing that or just power off n on your device. Hopefully you get what your looking for man and if you run into any snags, this is the place to go and ask questions. We're all here to help. Good luck.

Sent from My Rooted DROID X2/MB870 Running CM7

OP
Z

ziggityz

Reaction score
i think i'm going to do a nandroid backup and use TB to backup also....just to be safe. Here's another question, when I ran TB is said something about the binary and TB needed to fix the binary...is this just updating busybox, and if so is the latest version of busybox safe on the X2...I've read stories of bricking by updating to latest busybox...I have ver 1.18.4 on my phone now...I'm completely stock other than being rooted.

Trip3601211

Reaction score
i think i'm going to do a nandroid backup and use TB to backup also....just to be safe. Here's another question, when I ran TB is said something about the binary and TB needed to fix the binary...is this just updating busybox, and if so is the latest version of busybox safe on the X2...I've read stories of bricking by updating to latest busybox...I have ver 1.18.4 on my phone now...I'm completely stock other than being rooted.

I'm not really sure the answer to that question. And I have never used TB as I just redownload everything and start fresh every time I flash somthing new. But you may be having binary issues cuz you need to force stop the superuser app. Reopen superuser, go to preferences and update SU binary. See if that works.

OP
Z

ziggityz

Reaction score
updated the su binary..the message says "your rom is rooted, but binary has non optimal access rights, which may cause problems, it says TB can fix this automatically...but i dunno about that...also should I back up to the external SD card? The X2 has internal memory, the SD card soldered to the board and the external one, now TB is backing up to the soldered one and resorting to the same....should I backup to the external and restore to the soldered SD??

Trip3601211

Reaction score
updated the su binary..the message says "your rom is rooted, but binary has non optimal access rights, which may cause problems, it says TB can fix this automatically...but i dunno about that...also should I back up to the external SD card? The X2 has internal memory, the SD card soldered to the board and the external one, now TB is backing up to the soldered one and resorting to the same....should I backup to the external and restore to the soldered SD??

I would, just in case. Can never be too sure. Thats an odd issue your having. Hopefully someone else will read this thread and be of more help for your situation. You might be fine though.

OP
Z

ziggityz

Reaction score
now that I've read about 50 threads...a couple more noob questions...so I backup using nandroid, the app provided by c21johnson for droid x2, then I flash the rom, in my case I'd flash the dragonzkiller cm7 port for the x2....then I can restore my apps and app data using the nandroid recovery??? I know not to restore system settings, but I'd love to keep all my app data....and also the cm7 guide says to copy the google apps zip....where do i find that at???

Trip3601211

Reaction score
now that I've read about 50 threads...a couple more noob questions...so I backup using nandroid, the app provided by c21johnson for droid x2, then I flash the rom, in my case I'd flash the dragonzkiller cm7 port for the x2....then I can restore my apps and app data using the nandroid recovery??? I know not to restore system settings, but I'd love to keep all my app data....and also the cm7 guide says to copy the google apps zip....where do i find that at???

Dont restore your backup from recovery as it will put you right back at where you were when you backed up. I found that out the hard way one time lol. I'm pretty sure you can use TB to go through any backups youve made and select the certain apps or what not you want to restore. Or you can download ROM manager and that will allow you to choose fron your back ups as well. As for the google gapps and the tethering, yes these are two more zips you have to install throgh recovery after installing the CM7 zip first. Heres the link to all those downloads and directions. Just follow these to a T and you'll be good to go. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=21342515

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
then I can restore my apps and app data using the nandroid recovery???
you can, but will cause problems,
use the nandroid to back up you system, before you flash new rom, or just making changes to current
if something doesn't work right, you can just flash your back up
to quickly setup new rom, use titanium back up, just be careful about restoring app data, doesn't always work from one rom to the next, so I just restore app without data
I use sms backup + to save texts and call log

nodixe

Reaction score
I just wanted to say that I'm on my 3rd phone phone (1st-sammy 2nd-htc 3d-DX) and I've flashed lots's of roms and I used TiBu to restore my game/market/forum data across all with no prob so far...the internal sd should be partitioned and mountable (I think unless its like the DX)