Hello, my name is Bob

Bob in Montana

Reaction score
Dear all - I am not a technical guy and I am a fairly private individual. I've never IM'd, texted, tweeted, facebooked or been in a forum or a chat room. I don't go to you-tube. I don't plan to start now. Oh, and those little dancing "smilies" annoy me. Yes, I am an old curmudgeon (probably the first time I have ever admitted it, but it does seem true).

This is the only forum I ever plan to join, because I'd like to get the most out of my Droid2 and it seems like you folks are friendly and enjoy helping people like me. Thank you for that.

OK, so I'm not really sure what a "thread" is, how to make one or how to find answers to questions you good people have probably already answered. I don't know how to "tag" a thread if I do make one (I see the big red caution note about doing that, further down on this screen. Uh-oh...I just saw "Trackbacks". Again, no idea).

Now, to the point of all of this. I have read the Droid2 user's manual and I have "played" with the phone for a week now, but there are some things I can't figure out, like:
  1. How do you make it stop making noises when you get an email?
  2. I have a "trial" version of a thing called "Touchdown" to make my laptop Outlook email sync/link with the Droid2 email (or something like that), but Motorola doesn't seem to have "Permanent" licenses. Any ideas on what that's all about?
  3. How can you get digital photos from a laptop into it?
So, again, I thank you for letting me into the forum and for the time and energy you expend in helping me solve some of these little mysteries. It is doubtful, but if something ever comes along where I can help or return the favor, I surely will.

Regards,
Bob in Montana

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Dear all - I am not a technical guy and I am a fairly private individual. I've never IM'd, texted, tweeted, facebooked or been in a forum or a chat room. I don't go to you-tube. I don't plan to start now. Oh, and those little dancing "smilies" annoy me. Yes, I am an old curmudgeon (probably the first time I have ever admitted it, but it does seem true).

Well you will fit in with the rest of us old geezers:)

This is the only forum I ever plan to join,

My opinion, it is the only one you will need!

because I'd like to get the most out of my Droid2 and it seems like you folks are friendly and enjoy helping people like me. Thank you for that.

OK, so I'm not really sure what a "thread" is
Your post is a thread

, how to make one or how to find answers to questions you good people have probably already answered.

Click on the Forum tab above. It will open a screen that displays all of the different sections. Simply click on one and it will display many threads that you can click and read.
I don't know how to "tag" a thread if I do make one (I see the big red caution note about doing that, further down on this screen. Uh-oh...I just saw "Trackbacks". Again, no idea).

Once your enter a reply you will begin receiving email updates informing you that the thread has been updated. If you want to unsubscribe or subscribe to a thread, click the thread tools, above, in the black bar.

Now, to the point of all of this. I have read the Droid2 user's manual and I have "played" with the phone for a week now, but there are some things I can't figure out, like:
  1. How do you make it stop making noises when you get an email?

Open your email app, tap menu, tap settings, tap notifications.
  2. I have a "trial" version of a thing called "Touchdown" to make my laptop Outlook email sync/link with the Droid2 email (or something like that), but Motorola doesn't seem to have "Permanent" licenses. Any ideas on what that's all about?

Outlook does cause some issues for the free apps so folks purchase Touchdown. The key you have is temporary and when it expires you need to purchase the permanent key ($25 I think) or switch to a different app. I use Exchange with the Corporate app and it works just fine for email but the calendar and appointment pieces are not ver good.
  3. How can you get digital photos from a laptop into it?

Mount/connect your phone to your computer and drag the photo from your computer to your SD card or email it to yourself then save it on the phone.
So, again, I thank you for letting me into the forum and for the time and energy you expend in helping me solve some of these little mysteries. It is doubtful, but if something ever comes along where I can help or return the favor, I surely will.

Regards,
Bob in Montana

Hope this is helpful.

Mike

OP
B

Bob in Montana

Reaction score
Thank you. Very helpful and very fast. I do appreciate the information and all is as you said. You saved me much time and froom more than a few expletives!

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
A message to Bobs, I can't resist.

Bob, from one not so old curmudgeon to another old curmudgeon, :welcome:

Most of us old farts hang out and keep to ourselves.

Dammit Bob, where you been?:)

Thank you. Very helpful and very fast. I do appreciate the information and all is as you said. You saved me much time and froom more than a few expletives!

Welcome aboard Bob, no dancing smilies, got it! Any other questions...just fire away. If it helps, a series of posts makes a message thread. You can follow the conversation thread taking place.