headphone jack

dayday11

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone on here uses the droid as a music player but I may have found a problem with the headphone jack. If you have the media volume all the way up it will distort the sound in the left speaker. I found this out cause I use the music player in my car and it only does it in the front left speaker. It does it on my headphones, only in the left ear. I took my droid back to verizon and they gave me a new one and it does the same thing. They said it may be a software problem. It also only tends to be a problem with hip hop/R&B, basically stuff that uses a lot of bass. Before someone says don't turn it up all the way, I only do it in the car so it comes through clearer. Also, it does not distort sound with volume all the way up when not using the headphone jack.

Sorry for the long post.

Stigy

Reaction score
The basic rule of thumb is that if you are playing something through the headphone jack it should only be at 75% volume or else you will start to hear distortion in certain channels on certain frequencies.

Just make the radio louder and leave the phone at 75% (ish)...

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Stigy is (more or less) right.. turn it down on the phone a bit and crank the radio. If you are maxing volume for headphones, or anywhere close, you need a headphone amp.

OP
D

dayday11

Reaction score
I agree, I am just used to the ipod where I can turn it all the way up. It is just strange that it only does it with heavy bass songs and in the headphones also.

abooch1

Reaction score
no...the droid should not be doing this..same thing happens to me as well...through my laptop and ipod the music sounds awesome bass buimpin..but nope not on the droid...and the droid doesn't even reach the volume of my laptop or ipod...

I've had a zune, every generation of ipod, iphone, laptops etc..and none of them have done this...I don't care what anyone says its not because of the high volume/ and headphones im using to cause distortion in just the left speaker...

Last edited:
OP
D

dayday11

Reaction score
Well we need to bring this to the attention of verizon so there can be a fix. I thought it was a little strange.

abooch1

Reaction score
Me to...I thought it was my headphonese at first and i have top of the line Bose headphones...The droid doesn't even reach levels my other media devices can reach and they have no distortion...I've noticed the headphone plug does not fit in the jack as snug and deeply as other media devies do..

OP
D

dayday11

Reaction score
I went out and bought new headphones because I thought my zune prem. were bad. I agree with you about the volume thing. I def. have the ipod and zune all the way up and it is much louder than the droid. The droid is good and all but not at that level. I still love the phone because after all it is a phone but I would like the problem fixed.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
first, the sound shouldn't be cutting out from one channel. period. if it is doing that, it is broken. second, MOST devices do not push enough power to headphones/speakers to keep them from distorting at volume. just about everything distorts at max, especially if you are using quality headphones/speakers and no amp. this is not my "portable rig", but i do carry an amp sometimes.

amp002.jpg

amp003.jpg

i HIGHLY recommend getting one if you are interested in better sound quality. you can spend anywhere from $5 to well over $1,000 for an amp, and even the cheap ones make a HUGE difference. your bass will not fade and your highs will hurt you (if you aren't careful)! PM me for questions about sound quality or whatever, and if there is enough interest i'll start a thread.

*edit* holy crap those pics are terrible..

Anthony Vu

Reaction score
first, the sound shouldn't be cutting out from one channel. period. if it is doing that, it is broken. second, MOST devices do not push enough power to headphones/speakers to keep them from distorting at volume. just about everything distorts at max, especially if you are using quality headphones/speakers and no amp. this is not my "portable rig", but i do carry an amp sometimes.

amp002.jpg

amp003.jpg

i HIGHLY recommend getting one if you are interested in better sound quality. you can spend anywhere from $5 to well over $1,000 for an amp, and even the cheap ones make a HUGE difference. your bass will not fade and your highs will hurt you (if you aren't careful)! PM me for questions about sound quality or whatever, and if there is enough interest i'll start a thread.

*edit* holy crap those pics are terrible..

I concur...the photos are crap :) </joke>

But seriously....that is a sweeeeet amp.

Totally agree with you. You want good sound, then you gotta pay for it.

No device at MAX volume will give you clean sound, esp small tiny electronic devices. Any time you plug an audio device as an auxiliary source, you should ALWAYs turn the volume down, then turn it up on main audio output. That's common practice among DJs and audio for video.

OP
D

dayday11

Reaction score
The problem is not distortion in all speakers it is in the left front only. IPod can be turned all the way up with no problems. The sine can be turn up with no problem. This is a device issue. The people at Verizon swamped out my phone and the new one still does it, plus te ones in the store does it. I just have stopped turning it up fully on the phone. My car setup is fine has been for years. The headphones make the noise, car, and my home theater does too. Out of one speaker it is not anything but a problem with the device. I can have it turned up full blast on the phone speaker and have no problems.

nire01

Reaction score
same problem here too. there is little or no distortion at high volume, and no good reason for that popping in the left channel, and it concerns me. This really doesn't present much of a problem in the media center as I wouldn't be playing at full volume, but on apps like pandora I sometimes have to crank it all the way up and it just becomes unacceptable.

I am also a little uncertain about the sound quality. Coming from an ipod touch, which by no means is an audiophile device, the droid maybe sounds a little more detailed, but the midrange feels a little thin to me. Headphone amps are out-not going to carry around, thinking about replacing my headphones with something more sound isolating so I can reduce volume. Also lack of any audio adjustments on the phone really is puzzling.