HDMI Out Video is Terrible

shamus

Reaction score
Just curious to see who's had any luck streaming video with HDMI. I have tried various videos and they all have terrible choppiness and lag. Last night I was struggling through a low quality video when the sound went way out of sync and eventually just gave the error "the file cannot be displayed" and turned off.

If this phone can capture at 1080p why can't I find anything with decent playback?

Crazed_Z06

Reaction score
Just curious to see who's had any luck streaming video with HDMI. I have tried various videos and they all have terrible choppiness and lag. Last night I was struggling through a low quality video when the sound went way out of sync and eventually just gave the error "the file cannot be displayed" and turned off.

If this phone can capture at 1080p why can't I find anything with decent playback?

Mine outputs via HDMI just fine.

You're not getting a 1080p feed from streaming apps. You have to remember that the video stream you get from mobile apps like Slingplayer, Netflix, Tv.com, etc are optimized for a small phone screen, not a giant TV. Dont expect them to look like a HD broadcast, because they simply wont.

On the other hand, video recorded on the phone at 1080p and pictures taken at 8MP looks EXCELLENT over HDMI Mirroring.

OP
shamus

shamus

Reaction score
Mine outputs via HDMI just fine.

You're not getting a 1080p feed from streaming apps. You have to remember that the video stream you get from mobile apps like Slingplayer, Netflix, Tv.com, etc are optimized for a small phone screen, not a giant TV. Dont expect them to look like a HD broadcast, because they simply wont.

On the other hand, video recorded on the phone at 1080p and pictures taken at 8MP looks EXCELLENT over HDMI Mirroring.

I'm actually trying to play downloaded video files, not streams. The same files that I do play usually with my HTPC, which very much do look like an HD broadcast.

But your last comment proves my point. Not only will my phone NOT play 1080p. It also has a hard time playing 720, 480, etc. I haven't found any videos that don't have a problem with playback.

Sure, recorded '1080p' videos might play fine, but I didn't buy a $100 HD dock to watch little home clips of my dogs. Not to mention they look pretty awful. I wish Moto could steal HTCs camera sensor.

Crazed_Z06

Reaction score
I'm actually trying to play downloaded video files, not streams. The same files that I do play usually with my HTPC, which very much do look like an HD broadcast.

But your last comment proves my point. Not only will my phone NOT play 1080p. It also has a hard time playing 720, 480, etc. I haven't found any videos that don't have a problem with playback.

Sure, recorded '1080p' videos might play fine, but I didn't buy a $100 HD dock to watch little home clips of my dogs. Not to mention they look pretty awful. I wish Moto could steal HTCs camera sensor.

Ahh yea, I see what you're talking about now.. Just copied a ripped DVD to the phone and output it over HDMI. The Quality is "OK", but the framerate seems to be low.. like it's running at 18fps or something.

FlipCpt45

Reaction score
Do they play on the device itself? I just put a 1080p sample of Planet Earth on my phone and it played effortlessly. I'm going to try an opening from Gundam 00 (Super stupid ridiculously high bitrate due to cool looking particle effects).

EDIT:

Confirmed that the bionic cannot play 28000Kbit media... Although the video is going about 15fps w/o audio. Its under software decoding.. isn't there a hardware decoder?

Maybe my SDCard is too slow to play that high of a bitrate...

FlipCpt45

Reaction score
Hmm, I'll have to get one of those Mini HDMI to HDMI soon.. I didn't think this would be a problem.. Maybe its the app, does the Bionic mirror it's display?

There was an app for the ...Droid X? that did HDMI mirroring because Moto restricted you to using the media app or whatever.

revelated

Reaction score
I have some local copies of movies. I'll load them up to mine and look into it tomorrow. Doing some interviews for a new position so before that I'll toy around. I know streaming videos didn't have any issue.

My only problem with the HDMI out is that it's not sending 1080p or even 720p video. it's literally doing what the PSP does with its video out - just a straight mirrored image with no optimization or resolution compensation, which is quite irritating.

redfishrun

Reaction score
I'm seeing a perfect picture on the Bionic, but the output to my TV is highly pixelated. The only output setting I find is for resizing. I was hoping to be able to use it for Netflix on this non Netflix TV, but it's pretty much unwatchable. Again, it looks perfect on the Bionic itself....

OP
shamus

shamus

Reaction score
Anyone want to buy a 1 week old HD dock? $70 shipped.

Unfortunately I am returning my Bionic tomorrow:(

cjsmoove

Reaction score
Video quality is fine...not the best in mirroring mode but tolerable besides if you use it with the recodings you do in 1080p it'll be much better.

cjsmoove

Reaction score
I have noticed you can't play NFL mobile or HBO Go while on mirror mode....