Having to replace my droid, procedure to back it up?

repo_man

Reaction score
I'm having the flickering issue (which I see now isn't just a "me" problem) (my thread) so I'll be contacting VZW today to have the phone replaced. Is there anything I can/need to do to back it up. I don't necessarily need to backup any apps (I've only had this DX for a few weeks so I don't have any apps I can't easily replace), I just need to back up contacts, info, etc. I'll also be copying my pics/data from my SD card onto my desktop. If I just run backup assistant and copy/paste my SD card data will I mostly be covered?

Edit: Called VZW and they are sending a replacement phone in the mail (wonderful lady on tech support handled my call - Charlie [Charley? Charly?]). They said to put my SD card into the new phone to carry over my "data". Will that carry over my contacts/etc? I know it will carry my pics over. And I guess I'll just make a list of the apps I have and redownload them, lol (they're all free anyway).

bkendrick

Reaction score
If you sync your contacts to Google then you're golden. If not just go into contacts and press menu then export. When you get your new phone just import.

DX. CFU. LIB 2.0.1

OP
R

repo_man

Reaction score
If you sync your contacts to Google then you're golden. If not just go into contacts and press menu then export. When you get your new phone just import.

DX. CFU. LIB 2.0.1
Cool, thanks for the reply!

I'm not rooted but I am running LauncherPro on my DX. Should I uninstall it and have the DX look stock again? I've never had to RMA (for lack of a better term) a phone before.

xan

Reaction score
i would do a factory wipe before sending it in just to be safe. I'd even wipe a bone stock phone too, just to erase contacts and other info thats left on a phone before i drop it in the mail.

settings>privacy settings>factory data reset

OP
R

repo_man

Reaction score
Xan, thanks. I think I like that option as well. Will wipe the phone before I pack it up. :)

xan

Reaction score
all the best with your new phone!

"repo man" is my all time favorite cult film. :)

OP
R

repo_man

Reaction score

Lol, there's a story behind my handle and it's not even related to tow-truck driving or the movie (which I didn't even know about it till people made similar comments about my handle). :p

Question: Appearantly VZW is sending me a refurbished DX in the mail. Can I complain or send it back for a new one. I paid good money for a NEW DX and I'd like to get a NEW one in return for this one being defective. :redface::rolleyes:

CD95YJ

Reaction score

Lol, there's a story behind my handle and it's not even related to tow-truck driving or the movie (which I didn't even know about it till people made similar comments about my handle). :p

Question: Appearantly VZW is sending me a refurbished DX in the mail. Can I complain or send it back for a new one. I paid good money for a NEW DX and I'd like to get a NEW one in return for this one being defective. :redface::rolleyes:

99% of the time replacement phones are refurbs, but refurbished doesn't always mean bad. It could have been a minor cosmetic defect that caused it to fail final inspection making it a refurbished phone because the case was replaced.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
R

repo_man

Reaction score
99% of the time replacement phones are refurbs, but refurbished doesn't always mean bad. It could have been a minor cosmetic defect that caused it to fail final inspection making it a refurbished phone because the case was replaced.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
That's what I'm hoping. I've had decent experience with refurbed tech items before (albeit PC components, but I digress). It's just the principle that I paid for a NEW phone less than a month ago and I'm getting a refurb, lol. Suffice to say I'll be THOROUGHLY checking this one out within the 5-day grace period before I'm supposed to mail my current one back. :/