having multiple language keyboards/spellchecks on droid

bri10s

Reaction score
hi everybody. i just activated my droid (the original, not the droid x or incredible) today, and i'm already getting a little frustrated, as i am quickly finding things that my ipod touch can do that this one cant.

mainly, while i write about 3/4 of my texts and emails in english, i probably have a good quarter of them in spanish. both my apple computer and ipod touch are smart enough to realize what language i'm writing in after a few words, and will change their auto-complete and spellcheck to work with what i'm doing.

so far i've found that the droid has the capability to spellcheck both languages....the only problem is that i have to change the settings for the entire phone depending on which language i want to use. is there anyway that this can have dual keyboards and language check? or at least an easy way to toggle between the two? or is there an application i can download that can help me out with this?

having "estoy" being automatically changed to "ecstasy" everytime is getting a little frustrating... and simply removing the word-complete isnt a good idea either, as i am notoriously bad at typing on both the virtual and the slideout keyboard

also....on a completely different topic....why does the pre-installed facebook app not let me look at my messages? i can see home, notifications, profile and friends, but not messages! i had to use facebook.com with the browser to reply to an email!

poky911

Reaction score
Multilpe language keyboarad/spell check

First go to settings, then language & keyboard, touch Android keyboard (onscreen keyboard settings), Input languages, check both English and Spanish then exit. Now when you are typing a text all you have to do is slide your finger across the space bar and it will change from English to Spanish. Hope this helps.

OP
B

bri10s

Reaction score
Thanks! I swear that was not an option when i first got my phone, so it must have come with one of the updates. I never thought to look again, so I never knew. thanks so much! makes my life a whole lot easier :)

JulesJr1

Reaction score
How do I slide my finger across the spacebar?

I have no idea how to slide my finger across the spacebar on the Droid Pro! There is no on-screen spacebar (on the touch screen)...
How do I switch to Spanish?

Nico06

Reaction score
And with slide-out keyboard?

Hi,

I am trying to find how to change the language using the slide-out keyboard.

Of course, before typing a message in spanish, one can first bring up the virtual keyboard, select spanish by swiping the space bar and only THEN open the slide-out keyboard

But I am looking for an easier way without using the virtual keyboard.

Any hint here?

Thanks.

johenkel

Reaction score
I had the same problem.

Try the app "Swiftkey X". I installed it and am using it right now on trial.
Will probably buy it.

Johenkel

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2