Has anyone tried taking a Droid Z over to another network?

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
Has anyone tried taking a Droid Z over to another network? I really want to leave Verizon. Can't afford them and they don't make it easy teying ti kaap you with deals or price breaks. I really want the Droid Z Force but was thinking of jumping to another carrier like Straight Talk or someone with affordable plans.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Straight Talk is an MVNO of Verizon right? I don't see why it wouldn't work. Go to Walmart and get a sim and see if it works. If it does, drop vzw.

OP
hammerhead13

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Straight Talk is an MVNO of Verizon right? I don't see why it wouldn't work. Go to Walmart and get a sim and see if it works. If it does, drop vzw.
I was told by a VZW Rep that he could not afford VZW Service himself but was using his VZW S6 on Straight Talk. Once I pay off all my Devices I will be making the Move. I checked and my Droid Turbo works with them so I can't see why not.

rocknroller77

Reaction score
Well the rep couldn't afford Vzw? That's a lie.

They get huge discounts on their plans and phones just so they do have Vzw.

Straight talk shouldn't work with Vzw at least fully. Some features will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Well the rep couldn't afford Vzw? That's a lie.

They get huge discounts on their plans and phones just so they do have Vzw.

Straight talk shouldn't work with Vzw at least fully. Some features will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you know the reps financial status? Maybe he couldn't afford the discounted plans. As straight talk is $45 a month unlimited text and calling with 10gb of data.

Straight talk sells a sim kit for vzw. What services or features won't work? Calling? Texting? Data?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

OP
hammerhead13

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Rep told me he was a Student. I do find it hard to believe he would Suggest Straight Talk to save money.
I as
Also saw that Totalwireless is a Verizon MVNO. They dont have the unlimited data like Straight talk but its $100 for 4 lines with 15GB Data. I pay $330 for 4 lines 6GB Data.

EyeOWA

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I pay $330 for 4 lines 6GB Data.

8GB $70 with new plan.
4, Note 7's and access fee-$204, just picked more expensive. prolly have cheaper phones.
total-----$274, and some taxes, might bring you to $285-290ish...You seem to be getting hosed.

grunt0300

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2 XL, Nexus 6
I have about a year to go on my Verizon contract. If what i've been reading is true, T-Mo should be working much better inside buildings by about that time(of course i don't believe a thing that John Legere says). Does Moto make a Z Force, or something similar, that will work on a gsm network? I won't go back to AT&T, at any price.:confused:

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Verizon has the best building penetration, I work in the hospital with a lot of lead walls due to xray equipment. For sprint we have repeaters in the building otherwise there would be no cell service. T-Mobile is spotty at best, att is the same, you have stand by the window. Verizon 4g penetration gets through majority of the building except center of the building 1st floor and lower basement center when it switches to 3g and on rare occasions 1x. We have 4 floors if you count basement.

This is all from my experience in past 8 years, so take it with a grain of salt as your experience may vary.

grunt0300

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Verizon has the best building penetration, I work in the hospital with a lot of lead walls due to xray equipment. For sprint we have repeaters in the building otherwise there would be no cell service. T-Mobile is spotty at best, att is the same, you have stand by the window. Verizon 4g penetration gets through majority of the building except center of the building 1st floor and lower basement center when it switches to 3g and on rare occasions 1x. We have 4 floors if you count basement.

This is all from my experience in past 8 years, so take it with a grain of salt as your experience may vary.

I have Verizon now, but i hear that T-Mo will be just as good within a year. That's what i'm waiting for. I want to go to a gsm network.

OP
hammerhead13

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
the Moto Z Force will work on T-Mo. if you have it you can take it over i was told

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I have Verizon now, but i hear that T-Mo will be just as good within a year. That's what i'm waiting for. I want to go to a gsm network.
In Cleveland, TMO has better reception than Verizon. They've built out their network a lot.

grunt0300

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
the Moto Z Force will work on T-Mo. if you have it you can take it over i was told

I went to the website that let's you know what phone works on which network. Moto Z Force Droid, on T-Mo, will get you 2G for sure, and 3G or 4G maybe. Nothing about 4G LTE or wifi calling. If i knew that T-Mo would "loan" me one of their sim cards for about an hour, and go to their nearest store today.:p