Handcent SMS Question

Atlas808

Reaction score
Okie so I have the Handcent SMS app on my HTC EVO 4g which also known as droid. What I am wondering about is can I turn off my messages (the app the comes with the phone for texting) off? Cuz I want to only get notified by the Handcent SMS app for my text cuz when I get a text and I have it on vibrate it will vibrate more times cuz both goes off which I only want one.

Please help!

Reaction score
Go into messaging setting and disable notifications. Then you will only receive alerts from Handcent.

OP
A

Atlas808

Reaction score
How do I get to the setting? Do I open the message app and do it or something?

The Donut Pirate

Reaction score
If you want notifications from the default Messaging app off, simply open the app, click on the menu button on your phone, select settings, and select Notifications.

2guys1droid

Reaction score
Just answered this question the other day. If you want a tutorial on how to stop receiving notifications from an app then check out my blog (link in sig) although in the tutorial it is to stop receiving from email it is essentially the same process just do it in message

Hope it works

LeslieS

Reaction score
Hello. I'm new here and am having issues with Handcent vs. 'stock' message app. I want to use Handcent & I have deselected everything in the stock message app, however, when I receive a text message the window that pops up is not Handcent. I'm not sure if it's the window from the 'stock' app or not as I've never used that one. (I've always used Handcent but after the recent update to the phone my phone was all messed up so I had to do a 'reset to factory settings') Anyway, the window that comes up is a small window above the keyboard. At the very top left is the Handcent notification, but this window isn't. Any idea what I've done wrong here?
Thanx so much for any help.

Leslie

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Which phone Leslie?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

bosshog85

Reaction score
I had the same issue also. But now it seems to be fixed. Go to Application Settings and the option to completely disable stock sms is available.

Sent from my Ally using DroidForums

LeslieS

Reaction score
In the settings for the stock sms, I have nothing selected in notifications, text messages, multimedia messages or general, with the exception of: Settings>Text massages (SMS)> the Priority Setting is 'Normal' but that and 'High Priority' are the only options??

Leslie

PS: I have another issue.
There used to be an option email to 'leave a copy on the server' and if I deleted the email from the phone, it would still be in Outlook on my laptop. I can't find that setting?

Last edited:

bosshog85

Reaction score
I'm assuming you're running Frito which I am also. In Hancent, if you press menu, go to settings and go to "application settings" its the 2nd or 3rd option down to disable stock.

LeslieS

Reaction score
Well, I THINK (from what I've been reading) the last update I did was for 'Gingerbread'? I'm not sure how to tell tho? However, in the Handcent settings in the 'Default Messaging application', disabled is selected. The other choices are: SMS, MMS All(SMS & MMS)

bosshog85

Reaction score
You need to change it from "disabled" to "all"

LeslieS

Reaction score
Nope, didn't work. I'm assuming this is not the Handcent window. it's not the one that opens when my daughter receives a text or the one when I open Handcent to send a text. However, it also does not look the same if I open the stock sms (just did that for the first time). It's just a very small black & white window that show the message and who it's from. There's a small reply box to type in and it does not show the pictures of people that Handcent & the stock do. I really appreciate all the help for something that I'm sure seems like a very minimal issue to most. I’m about ready to just give up tho.

:icon_evil:

mamawm

Reaction score
what you are describing sounds like the handcent popup. it you don't want it, open handcent ,hit the menu button, then settings>notification settings and the first thing on the list is enable popup, deselect it.