Handcent MMS issues

cj1896

Reaction score
I have had handcent installed for a while and I've noticed that I can't receive or send any MMS messages. It just shows received MMS as downloading (and then it never finishes downloading), or just flat out won't send MMS. Has anyone else had this problem?

M

Matth3w

I had handcent and never had this issue. What is your signal strength?

OP
cj1896

cj1896

Reaction score
I've got 5 bars and 3G. It hasn't really mattered what the signal strength is it just isn't working. It worked until I installed handcent and now it doesn't even work in the stock messenger.

M

Matth3w

Have you tried uninstalling Handcent completely? If so and it still doesn't work in the stock messaging app then it has nothing to do with Handcent.

OP
cj1896

cj1896

Reaction score
I just uninstalled it, I asked a friend to send me a pic to see if this was the problem. I still couldn't open any pictures sent to me while handcent was installed.

M

Matth3w

I just uninstalled it, I asked a friend to send me a pic to see if this was the problem. I still couldn't open any pictures sent to me while handcent was installed.
This statement contradicts itself.

OP
cj1896

cj1896

Reaction score
I was saying that any MMS that were sent to me during the period of time while handcent was on my phone won't open in the stock messenger app even after I uninstalled handcent. A copy of all those mms are in my stock app.

M

Matth3w

So what happens now that it is uninstalled, can you get pictures?

OP
cj1896

cj1896

Reaction score
It works now that handcent is uninstalled. I wonder what was wrong?

M

Matth3w

I don't know but I never had that issue.

Ok, try this...reinstall Handcent. Make sure in the stock messenger app settings you have Notifications and Auto Retrieve MMS UNCHECKED, and then go into Handcent and CHECK both of those options.

Ladilove194

Reaction score
I have found all the correct settings for Android to send and receive MMS.

On the Android settings itself:
Note: It doesn't matter if Wifi is on or off...the next steps will work,

On the Stock Messaging App:
1. Select Delete old messages
2. Unselect everything elses

On the Handcent App:
1. Go to settings, then Application Settings - Default Messaging App-Select Disable
2. In the Send Message settings - Select Auto Convert to MMS and Auto Resize and Auto Convert
3. Go to Receive Message settings - Uncheck auto receive, roaming auto retrieve and most important, UNCHECK Advance Download, check Auto Download,

It took me some trials and error but these enabled me to be able to send and receive MMS messages.