Handcent can't send/receive MMS, but default app can

Nebulous

Reaction score
Several months ago I realized that I cannot send or receive multimedia messages in Handcent. It used to work, but along the way it somehow quit working. I've lived with it but would like to fix it.

I have scoured the message boards and forums. I've seen many people experiencing this. But most of them say it is not working in the default texting app, either. That is not the case here. My default app works, Handcent doesn't (but only for MMS; SMS is fine).

Here's what I've done so far:

• I called Verizon first. They had me test send/receive of a photo in the stock app. It worked.
  • They had me try the same thing in Handcent. It didn't work.
  • Verizon checked account settings for me and all my family members. Everything was copacetic. I am the only person out of 3 on the plan who has this problem.
  • Verizon rightly concluded that this was outside their domain.
  • I followed advice found on other forums and posts to enable autoretrieve and roaming autoretrieve both in Handcent and in the stock app. They were both already enabled.
I also saw advice that suggested checking the battery manager to make sure it is in performance mode and not in super (or ultra) low voltage mode. I'm not sure I understand that. I don't have a battery manager per se that I'm aware of. I use Android Assistant which does a lot of things including allowing me to tweak certain things that can drain the battery. But I am pretty sure this problem existed before I got that app. It also reports on my battery. Currently it says my battery voltage is 3871 mV. Not sure if that is good or bad.

LG Ally (NOT rooted) with Android 2.2.2 and Handcent 3.9.9.9

So what should I do now? I have considered a Handcent uninstall/reinstall, but will I lose all my stored messages? And would it be likely to help anyway?

Thanks for your assistance,

gling

Reaction score
Have you contacted Handcent in regards to your problem? It would seem that the developer (in most cases) might be the best source to troubleshoot the problem especially since you've already eliminated Verizon as the cause. They have support on their website or right through the app. Just copy your post above and send it to them.
They also have a backup service (for a few bucks) that will backup all of your SMS & MMS messages online or to your SD card if you're going to uninstall/reinstall and need messages saved.

OP
N

Nebulous

Reaction score
@gling:

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I contacted them, but just today. I haven't heard back (nor would I expect to this quickly). The FAQs on their site don't mention this problem.

I guess I assume - and try to respect - that developers of free apps don't have strong support departments. I realize this is ad-supported rather than completely free, though.

Just thought I might find someone who has overcome this here.

Thanks again,

~N