Guide to use RSDLite to install the .246 ICS FXZ - updated 10-24-2012

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Guide to use RSDLite to install the Bionic .246 ICS FXZ - updated 10-24-2012

Here is a guide to use RSDLite to install the .246 ICS FXZ that I cobbled together from various post.
Credit goes to those that wrote the original & host the links. I just amended it a little & put it in one place to make it a little easier to use & find.
Hopefully this will help those trying to get there 246 ICS issues worked out.

This will put you phone back to just like it would have come from Motorola with 246 ICS on it.

You can use this to install .246 over any version you are on.

You can't fxz back to gingerbread from the .246 ota (or leak 235 and above) trying to do that will brick your phone.

This will wipe everything but your external sd-card.
Back up or move anything you want off the internal sd-card / Memory.

Downloads

The 246 ICS fxz here its the very bottom one
Droid-Developers SBF

Moto Helper device manager

Motorola USB drivers v5.7.0- 32bit

Motorola USB drivers v5.7.0- 64bit

RSDLite 5.7
https://www.google.com/url?q=http:/...ds-cse&usg=AFQjCNG0WYQLgezkhuWhljPuN6TMhzp66w

Use the back USB ports on a desktop. On a laptop it does not matter.

Everything you download will be to your computer desktop.
1. Download .246 FXZ file.
2. Download Motorola drivers to your desktop or use Moto helper device manager.
3. When it is done downloading click on it and install
4. download RSDLite 5.7 to your desktop.
5. When it is done downloading click on it and install
6. start RSDLite 5.7
7. turn phone off
8. press and hold the volume down and power button at the same time on the phone. The fastboot menu will appear.
9. plug your bionic into your computer with the cable that came with the phone.
10. Click on RSDLite, you should see your phone listed.
11. click on your phone to highlight.
12. click on "..." symbol.
13. navigate to the .246 FXZ file location and select that file.
14. on the next pop up select uncompress and start flashing.
15. let the program run until your phone reboots. rsdlite screen will say 22/22 complete.
16. when the green android is up you are done.
17. click on the green man and log in with your google account.

Some time RSDLite does not say complete but the android will show up on your phone. It is complete don't worry about the warnings.

to root your phone after updating for those that wish to.

This is the link for the file to root with razors edge http://t.co/mbIAmwH8 some prefer it.

Recovery mode to Wipe data/factory reset
1. Start with being powered off
2. Hold both volume up and down then power on
3. Volume down moves, volume up selects the highlighted choice
4. when you get to the exclamation point press both volume buttons
5. scroll to Wipe data/factory reset
6. select with power button

Last edited:

JonnyCobra

Reaction score
13. navigate to the 5.5.893 or 5.9.902 file location and select that file.

So you're saying use RSD to revert to .902, correct? Then when am I supposed to use the .246 zip file to update? Or, do I just let the phone update through OTA?

And what about "razrs edge" that's supposed to root your phone running ICS. When does this come into play in this whole process?

Last edited:

dale.j.gilbert

Reaction score
JonnyCobra said:
So you're saying use RSD to revert to .902, correct? Then when am I supposed to use the .246 zip file to update? Or, do I just let the phone update through OTA?

And what about "razrs edge" that's supposed to root your phone running ICS. When does this come into play in this whole process?

No this is copied from the same guide I used last night and they just missed changing that. This is an fxz for 246. you can't fxz back to gingerbread from the ota (or leak 235 and above) trying to do that will brick your phone.

DiskCrasher

Reaction score
Awesome, it worked, thanks! Couldn't get the 246 OTA update to install since I "forever rooted" my phone. Now just have to figure out how to get root installed again. :p

OP
sst45jeff

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo

I updated it & removed the info about 902 & 905 so as not to confuse people.

This is a guide to install the .246 FXZ file.
You can't go to 902 or 905 Gingerbread from ICS .235 or above.
Y
ou will brick your phone.

norm0621

Reaction score
I've been performing the steps as described on my phone after the update basically killed it. The problem I am having is the battery runs out before the flash is complete. I've already ordered a factory adapter from Team Black Hat but, I don't really want to wait for 5 to 6 days for it to get here without my phone. Basically steps 1-13 take less than 2 minutes. After that it slows way down. Step 14, system.img is taking hours to finish. If the battery holds out it usually fails on one of the subsequent steps. The closest I have gotten is step 20 and had it fail due to the battery. Am I doing something wrong? I've charged the phone fully, reinstalled the drivers several times, switched USB ports. Should it be taking this long?

OP
sst45jeff

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I've been performing the steps as described on my phone after the update basically killed it. The problem I am having is the battery runs out before the flash is complete. I've already ordered a factory adapter from Team Black Hat but, I don't really want to wait for 5 to 6 days for it to get here without my phone. Basically steps 1-13 take less than 2 minutes. After that it slows way down. Step 14, system.img is taking hours to finish. If the battery holds out it usually fails on one of the subsequent steps. The closest I have gotten is step 20 and had it fail due to the battery. Am I doing something wrong? I've charged the phone fully, reinstalled the drivers several times, switched USB ports. Should it be taking this long?

It can take a long time if you have a lot of photos or music on your phone.
If you have a lot of media pull your sd card & put it in your computer & transfer all the media to your computer temporarily.
Flash the phone again & it will complete much faster with out the media on the phone.
When done flashing you can move the media back on to the phone.

BionicScrewed

Reaction score
HELP first step, fail. "Failed flashing process 1/21 flash mbm "allow-mbmloader-flashing-mbm.bin""

norm0621

Reaction score
charge your battery. BTW the SD Card was the problem. I took it out and put it in my buddies Galaxy S3 then back in the Bionic, flash finished in like 5 minutes.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
This will wipe everything but your external sd-card.
Back up or move anything you want off the internal sd-card / Memory.

This is the same issue as was in the previous FXZs, there is a command in the XML that calls for the internal storage to be deleted (and to flash a new emstorage.img)....it 'does not' need to be, just omitting those two commands from the XML will net you the same outcome but without wiping your internal SDCard..

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Will knowing that affect whether you use it or not?

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Just needlin' ya..... are you familiar with fastboot files? that being said I'm pretty sure it is called an FXZ since it is a fastboot XML recovery zip file