Group Messaging issues with Galaxy Nexus?

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
As I start to write up this post, I don't know how far it's gonna go so I apologize if this ends up being too long-winded. But I am curious about something I've noticed with my Galaxy Nexus and wondering if anyone else with this phone has experienced this...

To start, I've had the phone for just over a year, and it is completely stock, running JB 4.2.2 as pushed out via OTA by Verizon.

Is there an issue with the way the Nexus handles group messages? I've noticed some weird instances with mine and it's kinda bugging me. The issues mainly come with the group messages sent out by my friends with iPhones. There are 3 people in this iPhone group, and each of them on a different carrier (only one of them is on Verizon, which is obviously who I am with). The main thing I've noticed with group messages that they send out is that sometimes, I may never receive a message, or the message(s) show up late...like, HOURS late.

Now, I would say it's a glitch between carriers or something...but I present these next tidbits...

My girlfriend has an SIII, and is on Verizon also. She's always getting all the messages (from this same group of friends above) and all in the timely fashion that they are sent out. She might ask me if I saw the message that "Mike" sent out, and no, I have not. At all. And I'll never see it. Or I may miss the first couple of messages in a group message, but get the tail end of the thread and I'll be like "WTF are they talking about." Or as stated above, the messages will show up hours later. It's a crapshoot.

Another little wrench...if the GF sends out a group message to the same group, I will receive it as if it's an individual message from her, and doesn't show up as a group message at all from her. Actually, any participation from her in one of these group messagings shows up to me as an individual message. But anybody that responds to her group message, it shows up in a group message.

So...does the G-Nex just handle group messages that poorly? I'm not interested in using any third-party apps for something as basic as text messaging. Honestly, it's really not that big of a deal as I eventually get the subject matter via other means, but I just find it odd that this phone can screw up a functionality so basic and I'm really just more curious than anything. There's just no real common denominator here that I've seen.

Thanks.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Back when I had my Nexus I always had an issue with group messages using the stock messaging app and handcent. I made the switch to GoSMS and never ran into the issue again.

Mont

Reaction score
When did they start the group messaging? I just seemed to start about 6 months ago. It used to be if someone sends a group text message you could only see and reply to the main sender. I noticed this changed with my Aunt sent me a group message then I was able to see the other people she sent to, then ensued the multiple texts back. I missed that update, it wasn't like that the whole time. My cousin was just complaining about this, he has a S2 on Sprint. They were in group messaging and said he couldn't see the Iphone replies, I never had that problem.

OP
IIGood

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
The group messaging was part of an Android update but I can't remember which one. I'm inclined to say it came with the 4.2.1 update but I'm not totally certain.

Mont

Reaction score
The group messaging was part of an Android update but I can't remember which one. I'm inclined to say it came with the 4.2.1 update but I'm not totally certain.

Thanks it's all I needed to let me know I wasn't going crazy. I missed the notes on that one.

Mont

Reaction score
My story all messed up, just talked to cousin he was complaining that he was getting all the group messages but was mad because he couldn't get it to stop.

He got S2 running 4.0.4