Great Way to See If Your Accounts Have Been Hacked from the Heartbleed Vulnerability

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
hack-world.jpg

Not too long ago we shared a handy infographic which was designed to help us figure out if we should consider changing our passwords due to the Heartbleed SSL vulnerability. It detailed several online account types which were vulnerable, but it couldn't actually tell us if we were already a victim of the exploit. Luckily, there are some folks out there who are just as smart as the hackers who might try to exploit the bug.

These savvy security gurus have created a couple of web-site tools which can reportedly detect if your accounts have been compromised. They are remarkably simple to use too. You just have to head to the web-sites and enter in an email address which you have linked to any accounts you are worried about. In seconds the tool responds and shares which, if any, of your accounts have been compromised so you know which ones you should change the passwords for immediately.

The first is called haveibeenpwned.com. It will let you know if you have been "pwned" by the bad guys (for non-gamers, pwned is urban techno-speak for "owned" or "defeated"), so you can get your passwords changed.

The second one is called shouldichangemypassword.com. This one preforms a similar function and handles the process the same way. The main reason it is likely worth doing both is because they might access different data, so it would allow for a more well-round and comprehensive test of your accounts.

Although the bad guys will always be out there, hopefully, in the next five years we won't find another huge internet vulnerability like "Heartbleed." It's great to see there are folks trying to stem the tide of the Heartbleed.

jspradling7

Reaction score
Me too but it said back in september... I've changed passwords since then and I didn't think heartbleed went back that far.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Yeah, does anyone know if heartbleed keeps track of whether or not we've changed our password since the hack?? I'm pretty sure I changed my gmail password like a few weeks ago, so I'm wondering if I'm ok.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Adobe for me too. Its a work account with nothing purchased and no payment info stored so I'm not worried about it.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
This is awful, not a least bit dirty. Maybe tomorrow.

And thanks dgstorm
Sent from my DUM phone using Droid Forums

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I'm good on both....

The Stig 04

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P (VZ) & S7 Edge (TMO)
On the igotpwned one I just typed a random use of letters (ex:snfsnjfsn) and it said I was ok. How do we know these actually work??

maomao

Reaction score
On the igotpwned one I just typed a random use of letters (ex:snfsnjfsn) and it said I was ok. How do we know these actually work??

I concur. Why do I want to insert perfectly good passwords to their sites to "check" them. Wow, that seems a phishing scam waiting to happen. I know I have Jellybean. I know JB is vulnerable. I know I haven't received a patch from Motorola or Verizon even though Google's published a patch. So I'm changing all my passwords.
My biggest concern is business accounts where I'm accessing them on my phone, but I'm not the only one accessing them.

DeadlyAP1

Reaction score
You are supposed to be putting in your email address, not your passwords.

I got hit by adobe in Sept. according to this. Thankfully I use google 2 step verification but I'm going to change it anyway.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Sweet I'm good on both

Tap'd from my LG G2