Great flip-through picture viewer: Astro

WhiskeySix

Reaction score
I was playing around with Astro file viewer and found a hidden gem!! Hidden with it is a fantastic app called "Astro Image Viewer"! To use it, you use the file-viewer to navigate to a directory (camera, downloads, etc), then tap a photo and chose "Astro Image Viewer"!

It has swipe-to-browse viewing (swipe left and right to change images)...

It ALSO has really cool rotate gestures enabled, so if you draw a clockwise half-circle, it rotates the image clockwise 90 degrees!

(there's also a 'filmstrip' along the bottom with kinetic scrolling)

It's not perfect (no zoom), but it's great for flipping through photos!

Skipperjohn

Reaction score
Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but this feature seems to have suddenly disappeared with last nights latest update.
I know the standard droid gallery viewer has this feature (since I had my phone) but it was never active if I launched the viewer form an app like Astro file manager. This made using the astro image viewer very useful when navigating a directory that was hidden from the standard gallery (name preceded with a period). Now all I can do is open, close, reopen over and over...

Unless I am missing something...

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but this feature seems to have suddenly disappeared with last nights latest update.
I know the standard droid gallery viewer has this feature (since I had my phone) but it was never active if I launched the viewer form an app like Astro file manager. This made using the astro image viewer very useful when navigating a directory that was hidden from the standard gallery (name preceded with a period). Now all I can do is open, close, reopen over and over...

Unless I am missing something...

Whew, I thought I was the only one who noticed that about the latest Astro update (or that I'd somehow done something to cause it, like shuffling around .nomedia files too much). Astro used to be my favorite over the stock gallery because it didn't take forever creating thumbnails for EVERY IMAGE on the SD card, regardless of whether you were looking at it (or even wanted to).

I really hope they fix the Astro thing soon. If I'd known, I wouldn't have updated. Time to go back to the "if it ain't broke, don't upgrade it" philosophy for apps, I guess.

Skipperjohn

Reaction score
I sent an inquiry to the good folks at metago (the creators of Astro). And although they first responded there were no changes to the viewer, they ultimately told me they see the problem and will have it fixed in the next release.

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
I sent an inquiry to the good folks at metago (the creators of Astro). And although they first responded there were no changes to the viewer, they ultimately told me they see the problem and will have it fixed in the next release.

Excellent. Thanks for the info. I hope the update comes soon.

Skipperjohn

Reaction score
This is all fixed with todays latest update. And it words better than ever (the thumb-strip is clearer than it was)

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
This is all fixed with todays latest update. And it words better than ever (the thumb-strip is clearer than it was)

Yep, I got it this morning. I find that it still kinda bogs down in folders with lots (more than ~75 or so) of images. Takes too long pre-creating thumbnails, I think.