GPS VERY inaccurate...

OP
B

BostonDroid

Reaction score
see if you can exchange it, or check to see if you need to download the latest version of Google Maps from the App Market. I've had nothing but great luck and accuracy with the GPS on my Droid.

Yeah I have the 4.0 Google Maps that just came out.

Silver Member
Reaction score
turn your phone off
hold down power and X until you get a screen
press vol and camera until screen changes
navigate to nandroid backup/restore and see if you have any restore points.
I dont have any backup pr restore options, so I am assuming that I dont have a nandroid backup on the phone.

for options I have: Reboot, apply sd card:update.zip, wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition

Thanks for all your help guys
when rooting, the FIRST thing you should do is load the SPRecovery shell so that you can backup your phone before making changes to the ROM.

if you have the 64MB update.zip from the 2.0.1 rollout, you might be able to flash back to stock.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
The rooting/unrooting issue may be a red herring. For example, I have both "Use wireless networks" and "Use GPS satellites" checked in my settings. I frequently find that the Droid uses the nearest cell tower to determine my location when it can't get a good fix on several GPS satellites. Until the GPS "kicks in" my location is shown about 5 miles from my actual location at the nearest cell tower and that sometimes takes quite awhile.

P.S. I don't mean this as a flame and it may not apply to you, but there is a lesson here. Unless you understand in fair detail what "rooting" your phone means and until you're very familiar with its behavior in an "unrooted" state, it's not a good idea to rush off and "root" your phone. Doing so only adds another critical variable to consider when your phone acts up.

gatorbait

Reaction score
When you are trying this out, are you in an area where you can get a good GPS signal? I used to think there was something wrong with my GPS until I learned that I can't get an accurate signal inside my house or office. It would use the aGPS because I wasn't getting a good line-of-sight, but the moment I stepped outside into a clear area, I would get a GPS pinpoint down to +/- 3 meters.

diverbelow

Reaction score
My GPS on my Droid was working fine heading home, but when I opened up GM again (to check traffic) it said I was in Corvallis OR, which is funny since I was on I-5 heading north in Portland OR. Yes, my GPS was turned on; I even waited couple minutes and then selected my Location, and it still showed I was in Corvallis OR.

Later that day, I upgraded to the latest GM 4.0, and noticed my latitude was active. Since I was driving, I could not turn off latitude, so I just closed GM.

I have not rooted my phone, and that was the first time (hope the last time) I had that issue.

Cowpoke

Reaction score
A lot of people have had some wonky GPS cordinates with the last two maps updates in the last week. I have shown up in South Dakota and live in Tulsa Ok.

It seems to have settled down, but it seems like the GPS is having a harder time finding a signal, used to be while in the office or my house it could connect, now it never seems to unless I'm outside, if inside it reverts to the cell tower method.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
A lot of people have had some wonky GPS cordinates with the last two maps updates in the last week. I have shown up in South Dakota and live in Tulsa Ok.

It seems to have settled down, but it seems like the GPS is having a harder time finding a signal, used to be while in the office or my house it could connect, now it never seems to unless I'm outside, if inside it reverts to the cell tower method.

I've had exactly the opposite experience. But frankly, I doubt it has anything to do with software updates. GPS technology simply involves too many variables to make a judgment about individual cases, I think.

Cowpoke

Reaction score

I've had exactly the opposite experience. But frankly, I doubt it has anything to do with software updates. GPS technology simply involves too many variables to make a judgment about individual cases, I think.

Yeah I doubt the signal issue has anything to do with the new maps. But I do think the way wonky locations do as there were several people on here posting that when they started up the new multitouch maps we got a few days ago they were showing up hundreds of miles off. Not only hundreds of miles off but moving too. Last night my dot was moving east at a couple hundred miles an hour up in SD. Some other dude in another thread's said his dot was "flying really fast" over Austrailia. I've never had, nor heard of that issue until the update a few days ago.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah I doubt the signal issue has anything to do with the new maps. But I do think the way wonky locations do as there were several people on here posting that when they started up the new multitouch maps we got a few days ago they were showing up hundreds of miles off. Not only hundreds of miles off but moving too. Last night my dot was moving east at a couple hundred miles an hour up in SD. Some other dude in another thread's said his dot was "flying really fast" over Austrailia. I've never had, nor heard of that issue until the update a few days ago.

Soul travel. :icon_ banana:Maybe there's something to Ekankar after all.

Seriously, though, I've been using GPS in rental cars on business for years and have many stories of being told I was traveling across SF Bay without a bridge, being directed to a vacant lot in Long Beach when I was trying to get to a hotel in LA, and a couple of months ago, shortly after getting my Droid (before the most recent updates) I was told I was in either Iowa or Illinois. I live in Seattle. :) The misinformation corrected itself after a few minutes.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can't really count on a satellite lock indoors. It certainly can happen under the right conditions but it's uncommon unless you're by a window.

radioz

Reaction score
Download and run the app called 'Gpsstatus'. It will show you whether the gps has a good lock or not. Excellent app for all gps users!