GPS Settings

Abby Normal

Reaction score
What is the difference in the device versus high accuracy and why should I use either?

If I have the gps turned on I am already getting ads from Verizon if I am near one of their stores. it is only a matter of time before Starbucks and everyone else will start sending texts to us.

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SCH-I545 Galaxy S4 (Verizon)
High accuracy is for using maps or directions apps. The lower gives you an approximation of your location based on towers or WiFi. You only need high if the program needs precise readings. :)

Tap'n on my Galaxy S4!

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
This is how I understand the difference (if I'm wrong hopefully someone will correct me): High Accuracy uses your phones GPS, Cell towers and nearby WiFi networks (Google has a list of known WiFi networks and their locations..so when your phone "sees" one of those networks it helps determine your location). This is the most accurate location setting since you are using all three types. But this probably uses more battery also, since all three are scanning at once. Device Only uses the GPS radio only to determine your location. And then Battery Saver uses nearby WiFi networks and Cell towers only...so it's the least accurate...but easiest on the battery. As to which one to use & why...I'm not sure. I leave my phone in Device Only mode and have not had any problems using Maps or navigating. I would say if you are having any issues with Maps or navigating, then enable High Accuracy mode.

If you are receiving ads from Verizon when near a Verizon store, you must have signed up for that new Rewards Points program they started. That's one of the requirements to participate, they track your phone at all times and send you ads when near a Verizon store. They e-mail me every week with how many points I currently have and how I can use them. I'm still undecided on whether to join.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
They e-mail me every week with how many points I currently have and how I can use them. I'm still undecided on whether to join.
I got an email last week telling me I had 84 thousand points, and to sign up now! After reading their disclaimer, privacy policy and third party involvement I decided against signing up. It's crazy just how much you end up allowing them (and third parties) access and control over your device under this rewards program. They know everyone likes getting free stuff, and they definitely prey on that. I would advise against it personally, but that's just me.

tap'n on my S5

OP
Abby Normal

Abby Normal

Reaction score
Lots of great info, Thanks guys.

I keep getting messages saying 911 needs it set on high accuracy so now I see why I get that.

I also am getting constant emails about their point program. I am not interested in that either.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I had an issue today where Maps would not start navigating....just kind of hung in the acquiring start location screen. I was in a city downtown trying to get home and avoid football crowds. I had a good 4G signal but Navigation would not start until I switched to High Accuracy mode...then Navigation kicked in and worked great. I guess I am leaving my phone in High Accuracy mode now....as long as it doesn't affect battery life.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I had an issue today where Maps would not start navigating....just kind of hung in the acquiring start location screen. I was in a city downtown trying to get home and avoid football crowds. I had a good 4G signal but Navigation would not start until I switched to High Accuracy mode...then Navigation kicked in and worked great. I guess I am leaving my phone in High Accuracy mode now....as long as it doesn't affect battery life.

I leave mine on. I guess I wouldn't know how it affects battery though, because I always have.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SCH-I545 Galaxy S4 (Verizon)
It can affect battery life. But I wish they would just make it so it turned on when you open the app.

Tap'n on my Galaxy S4!

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
It can affect battery life. But I wish they would just make it so it turned on when you open the app.

Tap'n on my Galaxy S4!
Excellent idea!

OP
Abby Normal

Abby Normal

Reaction score
So when you turned on the high accuracy mode did you get the pop up saying Google Wanted permision to get your Location even when apps aren't running.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
So when you turned on the high accuracy mode did you get the pop up saying Google Wanted permision to get your Location even when apps aren't running.
No...I have not seen that one.

OP
Abby Normal

Abby Normal

Reaction score
That's what I get every time I try to turn on high accuracy. You get a choice to agree or disagree. If you disagree it won't turn on high accuracy.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
That's what I get every time I try to turn on high accuracy. You get a choice to agree or disagree. If you disagree it won't turn on high accuracy.
Does it give you the option to not show that warning?

I turn mine on when I get a new phone, but I think there's some kind of warning at that point. I don't recall it saying that Google will collect location data no matter what, but it might.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I saw the question / warning this morning (cycled from High Accuracy to Device and back to High Accuracy). I must have just overlooked it yesterday in my rush to get Navigation going. I believe that is letting you know that your phone is going to collect WiFi network data and send it back to Google (names of WiFi networks and their approximate locations). There is an option to not show this again....so you will not see it. It should not harm your phone or account....I think its just Google collecting WiFi data.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I saw the question / warning this morning (cycled from High Accuracy to Device and back to High Accuracy). I must have just overlooked it yesterday in my rush to get Navigation going. I believe that is letting you know that your phone is going to collect WiFi network data and send it back to Google (names of WiFi networks and their approximate locations). There is an option to not show this again....so you will not see it. It should not harm your phone or account....I think its just Google collecting WiFi data.

Correct. They use that data to improve the accuracy of location services based on wifi networks without using GPS. If I remember right, they caught some flack because the Street View cars were collecting network names and locations in much the same way.

People felt it was an invasion of privacy, but the only personal data it would collect would be your name if you named your network something like "My last name".

We did a similar experiment when I took my Computer Networks and Security Systems classes. It's called "War Driving" when you go around collecting wifi data. What's scarier than the fact that it's super easy to collect the data is the number of people with unsecured wifi, which can be easily seen and mapped depending on the software you use.

Wifi Analyzer for android does a good job of giving you signal strength information on all surrounding networks. You can turn it on and walk around between access points and figure out pretty easily by the graph where each one is as you move.

The same kinds of tools are used by network professionals to ensure proper wifi coverage and to help eliminate noise/interference between access points on different networks, but the same (or similar) channels.

But, I digress. Hopefully that info helps you feel a little better about location services on your phone, but I figured I'd shed a little light on the collection of wifi data.