GPS nav apps

ward510

Reaction score
Couple of questions about gps nav apps:
1) Has anyone tried using iGo My Way? This "narrowly missed being a best buy" in the November issue of Which? magazine. Navigon was voted
tops.
2) I was concerned at the amount of "permissions" requested by Sygic and CoPilot. Why should they need access to phone calls or social info?
Should I be concerned about this or am I missing something?

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
Why not just use Google Nav? It's always worked fine for me. Better than my TomTom.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums

OP
W

ward510

Reaction score
Thanks LR. I did try using Google Nav on my N7 and it started ok with voice instructions, but as soon as I got past my front gate (and outside of my wifi I guess), it stopped working.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
Thanks LR. I did try using Google Nav on my N7 and it started ok with voice instructions, but as soon as I got past my front gate (and outside of my wifi I guess), it stopped working.

Yeah, that'll do it. Try your using your data next time.

Last edited:

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
Sorry LR, its a Nexus 7 tablet I'm using. Doesn't have data.

Ok, didn't know that part. I think the latest version of Google maps allows you to download and use maps offline. Maybe look into that if none of the other apps work.

OP
W

ward510

Reaction score
Ok, didn't know that part. I think the latest version of Google maps allows you to download and use maps offline. Maybe look into that if none of the other apps work.

Yeah thanks LR, I'll have a look at that. Perhaps I'm not utilising everything yet!

snowman

Reaction score
if you don't have data how are you going to use GPS on a tablet ?
it's not gonna happen as far as I know,
does the tablet have a GPS antenna?
I've tried many many GPS apps they all need Data enabled or the GPS antenna won't work on it's own
but for the phone TeleNav very nice

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
Google Nav is the best navigation bar none with a data plan. But I use Sygic on my Acer Tab with no 3g/4g data. It works awesome. Crossed several states with it. Found everything I needed and the extra size makes for easy viewing

Almost all apps ask for phone and other permissions to let those things override that app. No phone on a Tab, but it is still going to ask. I think it has the social permission to alow it to navigate to Facebook friends addresses etc.

Last edited:
OP
W

ward510

Reaction score
I've tried many many GPS apps they all need Data enabled or the GPS antenna won't work on it's own
Hi Snowman. My understanding is that you could use wifi on the tab to download maps then use the inbuilt gps (which it has) for navigation. From my days of working with a major UK mobile phone network, this was what customers were advised when using gps on their handsets. You used data to download the maps (usually as a one-off) but the gps was free.

OP
W

ward510

Reaction score
Google Nav is the best navigation bar none with a data plan. But I use Sygic on my Acer Tab with no 3g/4g data. It works awesome. Crossed several states with it. Found everything I needed and the extra size makes for easy viewing
Almost all apps ask for phone and other permissions to let those things override that app. No phone on a Tab, but it is still going to ask. I think it has the social permission to alow it to navigate to Facebook friends addresses etc.
Thanks for that. Still makes me a bit uneasy allowing so much access. I can imagine all hell breaking loose if so many permissions were sought when downloading something to my pc!

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
Thanks for that. Still makes me a bit uneasy allowing so much access. I can imagine all hell breaking loose if so many permissions were sought when downloading something to my pc!

Don't look at Google Nav or Maps permissions then. It will scare you just as bad or worse.

ralphg

Reaction score
Some of the tablets have gps built in and certainly dont need data to operate. I use navfree which doesnt use any data at all. you download the map of your country where you have wifi connection then that stays on your sd card. not only is it free it has much better voices than the google maps voice.. nearly as good as tomtom which I used to use in my palm days...

OP
W

ward510

Reaction score
Some of the tablets have gps built in and certainly dont need data to operate. I use navfree which doesnt use any data at all. you download the map of your country where you have wifi connection then that stays on your sd card. not only is it free it has much better voices than the google maps voice.. nearly as good as tomtom which I used to use in my palm days...
Thanks for that Ralph