GPS dropping and email account Authentication Error

thesmackdown

Reaction score
Hi there!

I have been having a problem over the last few months of one of my email accounts sporadically getting Authentication Errors. It's a private domain but uses Gmail as the server. I also have a Gmail account and it seems to be working fine.

I am also having frequent times where the GPS stops working. I have tried to use GPS Status to reset it, but that doesn't work.

I was using Steel Droid ROM and then just switched to Maverick to see if that solved both problems but it didn't.

Something wrong with the phone itself?

Thanks!

FLE

Reaction score
I know the email problem well. I know that hotmail has a problem and has had said problem since I got my Droid in 2010. From my understanding it has something to do with mail push. Gmail uses push default. You can set it up for fetch but It works better on push. Did you see if the email is set to fetch or push? If you can set use push. Yes it uses more battery than fetch but it seems to me the Droid series phones run better if push is on. Did you see if any of your apps is causing the GPS problem? Sometimes its an app that is causing the phone to behave in an unwanted way. Have you recently updated an app on the phone that uses GPS or Tower locate? Its possible that an app was updated and causing the conflict with the GPS on your phone. I would look at when you noticed the problem started. Then start looking at what apps are on your phone that use the GPS or tower or both to locate your position. Apps are on the market that will auto shut down these features on your phone to conserve the battery. It could be like I typed an app that is accessing the GPS or tower locate on your phone and you may not realise that the app is accessing your phone in that way. If all else fails do a factory reset and Fdisk the sdhc card to insure that all info from previous apps are erased. Start installing and testing one app at a time. I know this would take a long time but the reward is worth the wait and you should have a better idea of what is affecting the phone. Then after all of your apps and settings are restored if the phone is still in error and the phone is insured return it to where you bought the phone and get a new one. For this reason is why I buy the insurance on my Droid, I started out buying the extra insurance with the Droid and now I am on the Droid 3. Since 2010 I have had to use the insurance "One" time. I just think that since a new smart droid costs around $500 to $600 its worth the $7 a month I pay for insurance. Yes I have heard that sometimes you do "NOT" get a new phone you get a refurbished one but I would rather pay the $80 claim and get a phone then have to pay $500-$600 for a phone. To me the insurance it worth it, esp if you never have to use it.