GPS App that uses NO Data?

dAi

Reaction score
Why does navigation app, google maps, and gps navigators needs data or wifi connection? My mother has a gps and she just enters the address and voila, that's it without data connection. My friend has a car with a builtin gps and uses no internet whatsoever.

Does any know a good gps app that uses no data? I'm on a limited data plan here...

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
bc all of the maps arent stored on the device. if im not mistaken, the file on my garmin was like close to a gig.

just look for one that stores them to the sdcard

mewshi

Reaction score
The reason it uses data is because it loads the maps from the internet, whereas a dedicated GPS doesn't. Nice thing about dedicated GPS units is that its a one-time investment (most of the time). Nice thing about a system like you'll find on android is that it tends to be more up-to-date than a dedicated unit (especially as the dedicated units age). Garmin, at least, charges a truly exorbitant amount of money for map upgrades on their dedicated units (just shy of 100 bucks for a one-time upgrade, and over double that for lifetime upgrades, last time I saw the vouchers at work).

In other words: pick your poison :p

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

jsw6380a

Reaction score
Why does navigation app, google maps, and gps navigators needs data or wifi connection? My mother has a gps and she just enters the address and voila, that's it without data connection. My friend has a car with a builtin gps and uses no internet whatsoever.

Does any know a good gps app that uses no data? I'm on a limited data plan here...

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

How long have you been on a limited plan? The reason I ask is because my wife tried that her first month with Droid-X and went over about 20 days in! Worst part about it is she never even opened the browser!! You have to be really careful what you are using on these phones as far as data goes or you will be paying out the backside for data charges..

Im not sure how much data the maps use but like I said just be careful with your usage or those data charges will break the bank. :eek:hmy:

MysticalDreams

Reaction score
IL for now... waiting for the day we can move back
Current Phone Model
Note 8!!
There are 2 apps that I know of that store the maps on your phone. Aura by Sygic and Co Pilot. Co Pilot may cost a lot less but I have yet to get it to work. They only allow for 15 mins to return it (which they don't tell you about until you file for support)and it takes you longer on WiFi to dl their maps. For me it has been a total waste of time and money.

Aura by Sygic costs approx 40.00 (US) but was well worth it to me. They offer a 7 day trial with, I believe, full functions. I didn't notice anything new since I buying the licence. Just make sure to DL the maps when you are on WiFi or it will eat your limited data.

Also turn off your GPS when not in use to save on your battery.

Hope this helps :)

Asphyx

Reaction score
Most GPS will use data regardless of where the maps are kept.
Even Garmin who has the maps on SD will use data to get Traffic and construction data. Co Pilot does as well but I find their address database really lacking.

As for Google it's great until you hit a dead spot and can't get a map.
Then your lost! LOL

I keep hoping that the guys working on the garmin phone code can find a way to pull the garmin android app out of it.

I would love to buy it if they bothered to sell it!

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why does navigation app, google maps, and gps navigators needs data or wifi connection?
Not all GPS nav apps do. Those that require data are simply designed to do so. A couple advantages to that approach are a smaller app footprint on the device itself and maps don't need updating since they're pulled as needed.

CoPilot was mentioned above. Navigon is another option. There are other apps as well. Some of the others (MapDroyd, etc) require a bit of pre-planning as you have to manually download the maps you need. Solutions such as CoPilot and Navigon have a one-time download and then you're set.

They only allow for 15 mins to return it (which they don't tell you about until you file for support)and it takes you longer on WiFi to dl their maps.
"They" (the developers) don't. It's a Market limitation.

Also turn off your GPS when not in use to save on your battery.
GPS only chews through battery when the receiver is actively used. Simply leaving it on won't drain the battery. However, if you have location-enabled apps that frequently use the receiver then turning it off may help if you can't adjust the intervals in those apps.

Most GPS will use data regardless of where the maps are kept.
Again, depends on the app. "GPS" is really too vague a term. There are plenty of GPS apps that don't require or use data (tracking apps, geocaching apps, geotagging apps and even GPS nav apps). If you're referring specifically to GPS nav apps then be very clear in your statements.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I would look for an app designed for out of the country gps so it will cache the maps you want and not incur roaming charges but you could easily adapt this to cacheing maps over wifi for use in the country.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App