Google voice to text does not allow voice input

vpelton

Reaction score
When using Google Maps (& anything using the keyboard input), I tap on the microphone icon so I can input text via speech. But now, when I do that, I get the white window with the green button in the middle & "Google" at the bottom, but I don't get the beep that tells me to start talking. If I talk anyway, it does not do anything.

As far as I know, I didn't change anything, but who knows if that's really true. I tried a power down/restart about 2 times but that didn't help. Any one know how to fix this? Thanks so much.

Samsung S6
Android version 7.0

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
A Google search brought up a lot of similar results for Galaxy S7 devices running the Google GBoard keyboard. I found this and might be worth checking, see what your speech-to-text input is set to:

"The Google commands are not in the "default keyboard" for Samsung devices.
Here is where you need to go:
Settings/General Management/Language and Input/Speech-Text to Speech
there you will see it have the options Samsung text-to-speech engine and Google Text-to-speech Engine.
Mine, by default, was set with Samsung"

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
V

vpelton

Reaction score
A Google search brought up a lot of similar results for Galaxy S7 devices running the Google GBoard keyboard. I found this and might be worth checking, see what your speech-to-text input is set to:

"The Google commands are not in the "default keyboard" for Samsung devices.
Here is where you need to go:
Settings/General Management/Language and Input/Speech-Text to Speech
there you will see it have the options Samsung text-to-speech engine and Google Text-to-speech Engine.
Mine, by default, was set with Samsung"

I found text to speech but no speech to text settings.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I found text to speech but no speech to text settings.
Is it set to Samsung or Google?

I have a very old Samsung as my company provided work phone, but here is the Setting I believe they were talking about. Mine is set to Samsung. Try changing yours to Google Text To Speech engine.

1320dbe60f60055ecd319b16e9ea631e.jpg

Last edited:
OP
V

vpelton

Reaction score
Is it set to Samsung or Google?

I have a very old Samsung as my company provided work phone, but here is the Setting I believe they were talking about. Mine is set to Samsung. Try changing yours to Google Text To Speech engine.

1320dbe60f60055ecd319b16e9ea631e.jpg

It's set to sansung but i also tried google but it still does not work. On S8 others say to turn off samsung speech to text but i can't find that.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
It sounds like something has taken over microphone permissions and not letting Google apps have access to the mic. Have you installed any new apps lately that would use / need access to the mic?

Also, have you checked App Permission Settings > tap Microphone > see if Google has permission slid to On?

OP
V

vpelton

Reaction score
It sounds like something has taken over microphone permissions and not letting Google apps have access to the mic. Have you installed any new apps lately that would use / need access to the mic?

Also, have you checked App Permission Settings > tap Microphone > see if Google has permission slid to On?

No new apps lately. Where is App Permission Settings ? I went to settings; apps; app mgr but mic did not appear as it's not an app.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
On my phone that's accessible from Settings > Apps > Gear symbol > App Permissions

OP
V

vpelton

Reaction score
app mgr had permissions but there is no mic app. maps does not list mic. google app had mic on but does not work. when i use voice recorder, mic works.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Don't try looking for the mic app, you need to look for the Mic permissions. Which apps have permission to use the mic? This is what it looks like on my phone, yours may be slightly different to get to these Settings. Somewhere on your phone, normally in the App Settings, you should see the Permission Settings.

219167225dc06ec7db27b9ee9a45258f.jpg

3f53f56c34ab67fbb255b4960578532d.jpg

Last edited:
OP
V

vpelton

Reaction score
Don't try looking for the mic app, you need to look for the Mic permissions. Which apps have permission to use the mic? This is what it looks like on my phone, yours may be slightly different to get to these Settings. Somewhere on your phone, normally in the App Settings, you should see the Permission Settings.

I can't find that on my phone. Under settings; apps, it has App Settings, but lists only 9 apps, which seem to be the ones included on the phone. Under App mgr, I can choose an app, like Maps, but it doesn't have mic so can't turn if on/off. Under Google App, it has mic listed, but it's ON & it does not work. Under OneNote, it was off & I turned it on but still doesn't work. I think it's the keyboard, rather than the app that's the problem. But I can't find the keyboard as an app so can't check the mic setting.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Somewhere on your phone is Permission Settings. Samsung has their own way of displaying Settings, but Permissions is an Android feature and it should be burried in there somewhere.

OP
V

vpelton

Reaction score
Somewhere on your phone is Permission Settings. Samsung has their own way of displaying Settings, but Permissions is an Android feature and it should be burried in there somewhere.

I can show/change permissions for each app, it's just that they are not listed like in your example. But I checked Google App & the mic permission was on but I could not do voice input. I think the problem is with the keyboard, not the app. But keyboard does not appear in the list of apps, as it's not really an app.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I'm not sure what else to suggest. You could try to clear app data for the GBoard app (if you are using the Google keyboard). Settings > Apps > GBoard > Storage > Clear Data. I'm not sure exactly what that does to the keyboard app though, so proceed with caution. You will definitely lose all saved custom dictionary words and it will probably replace the app with the original factory version; and then reboot your phone and reinstall any updates for that app from the Play Store. It's just a suggestion and something to consider.

OP
V

vpelton

Reaction score
I'm not sure what else to suggest. You could try to clear app data for the GBoard app (if you are using the Google keyboard). Settings > Apps > GBoard > Storage > Clear Data. I'm not sure exactly what that does to the keyboard app though, so proceed with caution. You will definitely lose all saved custom dictionary words and it will probably replace the app with the original factory version; and then reboot your phone and reinstall any updates for that app from the Play Store. It's just a suggestion and something to consider.

Thanks for all your suggestions, tho they didn't solve the problem. But I finally figured it out myself. Results to follow.