Google Voice student vs. Google Voice regular??

christophersquid

Reaction score
I signed up for a GV invite with a student account and was prompted to choose between having google voicemail or a google voice number...which made me go :confused: I thought that I would be getting both services from it. Is this the norm or is there a different selection for those who signed up with a .edu address and all the rest?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I have both....Regular Account.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have both with a Regular account. I'll get one with my virginia.edu address and see what happens.

xandor

Reaction score
I think you're referring to just voicemail, which doesn't give you the benefit of texting anyone from it or having a number to ring all authorized phones, where having a Google voice number gives you the GV mailbox features, plus the ability to send texts from your GV mailbox on the web or your phone, as well as making calls using your GV number.

In other words, use a non-google number, and you get less features. Use a google number, you get full features.

ExactDroid

Reaction score
Select the google voice number method.. .then you will have both. There is no difference, google voice is google voice, all accounts are the same.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Yea what they said.. get the new number and you can always change any option for any # ... you will see :)