google voice question

rogueleader

Reaction score
I understand from what I read on the web that one way to get a google voice invite is to use a .edu email address. My question is this, does the account have to stay with the .edu address once you receive the invite and sign up? Or can it be transferred? I have access to a .edu address but don't really want to use it for google voice permanently. Also if you sign up using a .edu address do you get invitations to send to other people?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I still havent gotten my .edu invite, not sure why.

But to answer your question, I cant imagine that the invite would stay with your .edu mailing address unless your .edu address is hosted by Google....

bryan.teeples

Reaction score
I used a .mil address to get mine. If you have access to a .mil address it gets you an invite in 24 hours.

When you get the invite in your inbox, you click the link that was e-mailed to you and then log into google voice with whatever account you want. So, I got my e-mail at my .mil address and when I logged into google, I did so with my @gmail.com address.

Hope that answers your question.

purl4peace

Reaction score
I understand from what I read on the web that one way to get a google voice invite is to use a .edu email address. My question is this, does the account have to stay with the .edu address once you receive the invite and sign up? Or can it be transferred? I have access to a .edu address but don't really want to use it for google voice permanently. Also if you sign up using a .edu address do you get invitations to send to other people?

You don't have to use your .edu email address to be associated with Google Voice. In fact, I just got mine today and they required I use my Gmail address to accept.

They actually sent me 2 (for whatever reason) and I was able to give mine to someone else and he was able to get it to work as well.

I don't know if I go back and request with the same email address if they would send me yet another invite but it is worth a try.

Hope this helps.

Cheers...

DIRTYDOGG

Reaction score
I hope mine comes soon I requested one a few months back but hear it takes between 5 to 7 moths to get one from Google

any one have an extra invite would be much Appreciated if ya sent it my way :)