Google Voice Question: Email Notifications.

Reaction score
Hey, folks! First time poster here, and new Droid owner as of last month. I usually lurk and learn, but I've got a question regarding the Google Voice App that I can't seem to find the answer to anyewhere.

I just got Google Voice and the Android App counterpart. I have Google Voice set up to send SMS notifications to my phone and to my gmail account (so I can reply online if I want to...Easier to type on my laptop than on a Droid. :))

Here's the problem. I have my Droid synced up to Gmail, and it will tell me when I have a new message in my inbox. Now that's been fantastic until I threw the Google Voice App in the mix. Now when I get a Google Voice SMS, I get a notification from the Google Voice App AND from my Gmail in the status bar a few seconds apart. It's kind of annoying.

So, the question is this: Is there a way to set up Gmail or Google Voice (App or online) to NOT send SMS notifications to my Gmail on my Droid, yet still recieve them in my gmail account, all without turning of Gmail notifications on my Droid alltogether.

I hope this makes sense. Thanks for any help!

JCo352

Reaction score
You can go to google.com/voice and go in the setting, and tell it not to send sms.

JCo352

Reaction score
Let me be a little more specific; google.com/voice>settings(top right corner)>click on the voicemail tab>Uncheck Send a text (SMS) message to: phone 1 (xxx)-xxx-xxxx

OP
T
Reaction score
You can go to google.com/voice and go in the setting, and tell it not to send sms.

Thanks for the reply, JCo.

I left out an important detail. I want Google Voice SMS to take some of the load off of my carrier's text messages so I can hopefully downgrade from the unlimited plan since my parents don't ever text at all, and right now I text just enough to need the plan. so I want it to send and recieve SMS.

JCo352

Reaction score
That setting is just asking if you want a sms notification sent to you for a voicemail.

khelek

Reaction score
OK, lemme take a stab....

The way I'm reading it is, you're having Google Voice SMS also sent to your GMail account because it makes it easier to reply online through GMail if you wish, instead of having to send the text on your phone.

If that's the case, you're in luck -- one of the things I love about Google Voice SMS is, if you're open to voice.google.com (or google.com/voice, whichever), then it gives you the ability to send SMS from your computer instead of having to do it from your phone. *Huge* benefit if you enjoy texting (like me).

If that's what you're looking to do, then you can turn off SMS sent to your GMail account and just have it sent to your Google Voice account. Then, if you're wanting to reply to texts on your desktop/laptop, head to google.com/voice and do it from there.

OP
T
Reaction score
Ah! I see now! google voice online is a completely separate inbox from Gmail. Duh! For some reason I thought it was just a different folder or something. :p

That would seem to fix the issue. Rookie mistake on my part. :icon_eek:

Thanks, everyone!

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yep -- you can definitely disable SMS forwarding to your phone and gmail. I use the GV site on my PC all the time to send and receive SMS.

mpenda

Reaction score
I keep my messages going to GMail because I have yet to find a "nag" app to tell me that I missed a GV SMS message. I use "Missed Call" which bugs me if I missed a call or a non-GV SMS message (and works well), but it doesn't cover GV.
So sending them to GV at least allows my light to blink green so I know I missed something.