Google Voice for SMS

somegeek

Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance here. I'm curious if users have had good results with using Google Voice for SMS exclusively?

When I start to roam and maybe get into areas that don't have 3G coverage, will I still get data coverage to send and receive SMS via google voice or are there cell service types that would service native SMS messages to/from my cell number where internet connectivity is not available to provide google voice SMS service?

Basically pondering getting a voice only account type and using data for SMS via Google Voice, if possible.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance here. I'm curious if users have had good results with using Google Voice for SMS exclusively?

When I start to roam and maybe get into areas that don't have 3G coverage, will I still get data coverage to send and receive SMS via google voice or are there cell service types that would service native SMS messages to/from my cell number where internet connectivity is not available to provide google voice SMS service?

Basically pondering getting a voice only account type and using data for SMS via Google Voice, if possible.

:welcome: to the Droid Forums. Google Voice sends SMS via Data, so if you are in an area where there is no data coverage, you may have issues.

I wouldn't rely on Google Voice exclusively. Pay a couple bucks for 250 texts at least.

harrellj

Reaction score
I'd agree with Hookbill. For one thing, GV doesn't support MMS and apparently also doesn't support the shortened phone numbers (those who say text a certain code to like a 5 digit number). Also, the app's interface is clunky for texts, since it is focusing more on voicemail rather than texting.

Flowah

Reaction score
I use GV exclusively, I pay 0 for texting. I find it more than adequate. I love being able to use the same texting number on any computer with internet. In the past year I've only had one person send me an MMS.

The only problem with it is being unable to send mass texts from my phone :(