Google Voice and Cost question(s)

fallsgable

Reaction score
here are my issues and questions. I am trying to figure out how to save $$$ given my circumstances. I have the DROID (primary line where 90% of the minutes used each month), and my son has an LG Chocolate3 (very few minutes used 140 max). My understanding is that if I add my Google Voice number to the friends and family plan "circle of friends" list, then all calls TO and FROM that Google Voice number are free of verizon charge...I get that.
and I get the idea that the GV app that I have on the Droid will allow me to set up the Droid to call automatically from GV.
The issue is that in order to get to the friends and family circle level (where I can add numbersthat will be free), I need a minimum 1400 minute per month family plan for my 2 lines, and then I can add 10 numbers (one of them being the GV number).
but after I add the 10 numbers on to the list, the 1400 minutes actually becomes something like 1800-2000 minutes with all the minutes I have freed up. With that many minutes, the GV free minutes become irrelevant.
Plus, I now spent more money going UP to a plan that allowed me access to the "friends and family circle", and the ability to add the GV number, just so I could SAVE money in the first place...so, where is my savings...
If I split my 2 lines and did separate plans, and wanted to use Google Voice on the Droid, and make free calls to save money and minutes, I'd have to get a big enough plan (900 minutes at $60), that would allow me to put the GV number on a "friends and family" list. otherwise, verizon would see the GV number as "out of Network" for both outgoing and incoming calls and charge me as such...
Am I missing something...?
Right now I just use Google Voice to save minutes from calling *86 to check voicemail...another great hidden cost from Verizon.
Can anyone shed light here...PLEASE! :icon_eek:

You all have been SOO knowledgeable and helpful on this board!:icon_ banana:

thistle

Reaction score
You have summed up the dilemma nicely with the minutes and F&F. I ran into the same issue and my solution was to ask trusted friends if they wanted to join my plan. So now I have two people on my plan with 700 minutes each and me with unlimited. It does save all of us money compared to individual plans but I still wish they'd drop the minute threshold down a bit.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
As in the other thread I just came from -- calls out use a dial out number, not your GV number. For free outbound calls you have the following options:

- Add and update the dial-out number to F&F, keeping in mind that it can and does change.
- Always dial out by calling your GV number.
- Find an app that routes all outbound calls through your GV number.

I'd also agree that only using GV to save minutes is a dubious reason. The other features are of more importance to me and my finacee and I have to have a 1400 minute family plan anyway as there's no way I could get her to use GV.