Google To Launch Echo Competitor At October 4th Event

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
That and a "Ok Google - Lift the Lid" to go with it.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I thought Droid does?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
The Echo does... Not, Echo does.

And as I recall, those Droid phones are dead, so they "don't"

Sent from my New Note 7

Reactions: cr6

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
The Echo does... Not, Echo does.

And as I recall, those Droid phones are dead, so they "don't"

Sent from my New Note 7
I have a Droid. It's not dead and it still "does"

My Home should be here Monday. Looking forward to trying it out and posting my thoughts in the other thread.

Last edited:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I received my new Google Home last night and had some time to try out basic functionality. This is by no means an official review, just my initial thoughts. It’s smaller than I imagined, but has a good weight to it and feels solidly built. It was very easy to setup and get it started. Just like setting up a Chromecast, the setup process in the Home app is easy and intuitive. Also, like the Chromecasts I own, there was an update for the Home as soon as it connected to my WiFi. Good to see that Google is already providing updates. The sound quality as a speaker is pretty good, I was impressed. It’s not a home stereo system and can’t compare to a Bose speaker, but in our kitchen it filled the room with quality sound at mid volume. It gets pretty loud as the volume increases and we could not carry on a normal conversation at 8 or higher (there are 11 volume settings). Bass was a little distorted at max volume, but I don’t plan on listening at max volume very often. Playing music is a breeze and worked correctly every time we tried it. OK Google (or Hey Google works also)…Play Metallica Enter Sandman, and it starts playing at mid volume. My kids were impressed with it right away over that feature. They tried to stump it with some off-the-wall college radio / indie style songs and she played them every time. I have a Chromecast Music in the living room hooked to our stereo and playing music over it worked good once I figured out the correct command. OK Google…Play {Artist} Living Room Chromecast. It had to be in the correct order to work. That was pretty cool. I didn’t have time to try out video casting to the living room TV Chromecast, but imagine it will work just like music (as long as I remember the correct order of the wording). Voice recognition worked very well up to about 15 feet away in another room, have not tried farther away yet. It answered all the simple questions we asked (weather, math questions, trivia, etc.). My wife liked that she can start the Play Music app on her phone and then tap the Cast button and start playing that song directly to the Home if she doesn’t feel like using voice commands. I have a lot more to try out and functionality to test; but overall I like this thing for $129.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I had a chance to try out the My Day feature this morning and it works well. The Home app added a new More Settings feature with lots of options for Google Assistant & Google Home. Things like which news source you prefer, the order in which your day events are read, home and work locations, etc. Just say "OK Google...tell me about my day" and she reads out news headlines, traffic on your route to work, weather and key calendar events. :cool:

I will try to post a lot of this in the Echo vs Home thread over the weekend for comparisons between the two.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Hey Sajo, I assume you got the Echo too since you'll be posting in the Echo vs Home thread?
I can save you the trouble, Echo is far superior and can do much more. It'll even wipe your nose when you have the sniffles. Hehe ;)

S5 tap'n

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Hey Sajo, I assume you got the Echo too since you'll be posting in the Echo vs Home thread?
I can save you the trouble, Echo is far superior and can do much more. It'll even wipe your nose when you have the sniffles. Hehe ;)

S5 tap'n
Sure it can! Nope, you guys with the Echo will help with that. Does your echo make you toast and put butter on it also? I didn't think so.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
No, but it will bring home the bacon and actually fry it up in the pan! Doesn't get much better than that!

S5 tap'n

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
No, but it will bring home the bacon and actually fry it up in the pan! Doesn't get much better than that!

S5 tap'n
Since you put it that way I may actually have to buy one now. Wonder why Amazon doesn't advertise that feature?

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Since you enjoy purchasing second rate devices (Goggle Home, Moto Droid Turbo, etc, etc) I thought you might enjoy reading what the experts say.
Google Home review: Second place ain't bad, but Google Home can't topple Alexa (yet)
...as for the bacon, they don't advertise it because it's such a well known feature, it goes without saying....
Enjoy your air freshener!

S5 tap'n

I did read that review. The key word is...Yet. It's brand new, so updates will be coming to make it better. And I have a Turbo 2 by the way; which we all know is your secret fav phone. :D

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I did read that review. The key word is...Yet. It's brand new, so updates will be coming to make it better. And I have a Turbo 2 by the way; which we all know is your secret fav phone. :D
This is true. I've been pleasantly surprised with Amazon. They push updates to the Echo at least every 3-4 weeks. So much so that the differences with the device I originally purchased compared to the device I have today are completely different, in terms of useable real world features being added.
Google definitely has their work cut out for them that's for sure, but if anyone can do it, Google can. I look forward to seeing how this plays out.

S5 tap'n

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I saw this morning that Home will be on sale for $99 at Best Buy on black Friday. Pretty good deal.