Google Pushes Latest Android Security Patch (with Factory Images Too)

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nexus-phones-2015.jpg

It looks like Google needed to patch some security holes on Android recently. They just started pushing out the latest security patch for Android 6.0/Marshmallow. Google promised to release a new security patch every month to stay ahead of the black hats.

The new update fixes 13 high priority issues and 6 critical issues. The update will begin pushing out to the following devices: Nexus 5, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6, Nexus 6P, Nexus 7 (2013 WiFi and LTE), Nexus 9 (WiFi and LTE), Nexus 10, the Nexus Player, and the Pixel C.

Google also released the Factory Images for a few of these devices already. Here are some links:

Last edited:

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
April's update came toward the end of the month instead of earlier, but at least it's here.
Today is April 5th. I think I'd classify that as the beginning of the month. It's about the same time as each security update released so far.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ugh. I just got my phone the way I like it, rooted with Xposed. :confused:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Today is April 5th. I think I'd classify that as the beginning of the month. It's about the same time as each security update released so far.
I feel like they've been more like the 1st or just before, but I agree. It's still within the first week of the month.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I get not updating it to a newer version of Android, but you'd think they could still push these security patches to the older versions...
I'm thinking that's what I got the other night, though not the most recent one since it was dated for Feb.
How do these differ from the ones Samsung is pushing to my phone regularly other than acting like a firmware update that takes 20+ minutes to complete and use a bunch of battery?

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm thinking that's what I got the other night, though not the most recent one since it was dated for Feb.
How do these differ from the ones Samsung is pushing to my phone regularly other than acting like a firmware update that takes 20+ minutes to complete and use a bunch of battery?

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><
That's a good question. Without seeing the changelogs for both, it's kinda hard to know. Who knows if the Samsung security updates include patches for the bugs/etc. that are patched in these Google releases...?

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah... I don't know what I was thinking with that sentence! o_O

OP update. Thanks for the correction.