Google Now Pressuring Android OEMs to Include 'Powered by Android' Branding

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
pbandorid.jpg

It looks like Google wants to improve the brand cache of their mobile OS. Ninety-nine point nine percent of the folks on this and all of our other tech sites know that they are using a device with an Android operating system. Apparently though, there are still a great number of average consumers out there who have no idea what type of OS is on their smartphone or tablet device.

Google wants to tweak that perspective a bit, and have been pushing Android OEMs to include the "Powered by Android" branding on all new devices. The first clue of this is seen in the new Samsung and HTC phones, where the slogan shows up on the boot screen. According to the report, this will show up on all new devices going forward, including tablets and smartphones which use Android. At this point there is no proof or official statement given on whether this is a requirement, or is just the result of some marketing pressure.

There's also no indication that manufacturer's who use heavily forked versions of Android, like Amazon, will be following suit. They might not take too kindly to this pressure. This could just spur them to make their own OS. Of course, that's not necessarily an easy thing to do without stepping on a few patents from multiple companies.

Source: SlashGear

comk4ver

Reaction score
Look I can't blame them for this kind of thinking but to be honest if they really wanted to know they'd read the box, right? It's all about branding placement. Something Verizon knows all about.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Considering all my non-tech friends say they own a "droid", I can see Google's view.

Can't fix stupid.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
Considering all my non-tech friends say they own a "droid", I can see Google's view.

Can't fix stupid.

I was just explaining this to a someone. She didn't know the difference between a Droid and an Android phone.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I doubt most people would even notice it. I get probably 10 people a day who ask me what is the difference between a smartphone and an iPhone, or that tell me they have a Droid.

Sent from my Droid Maxx

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Regarding the whole Android - Droid confusion, I don't think this will change it. It'll be something the user reads the first time when they see their new phone boot up for the first time and that's it. Verizon's advertising of their Droid lineup to make Android a major player in the game has already had its effect on the general public. If the difference hasn't been realized by now, I doubt it'll be changed with a few bootup screen texts.

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
One of the local news stations is always plugging their weather app...available for "iPhones and Droids." :icon_ nono2: