Google Navigation - Iffy?

vessej

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i agree it's iffy. last week my wife and i where in palm springs, ca and i decided to use it for the first time to find our hotel (i have a garmin 730 that i usually use). it didn't even come close. i still think my droid kicks a** like donkey, though. :i-m_so_happy:

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea its off at times. It made me do a u-turn when I coulda made a left a few yards back. I'm looking at Co pilot now. At least it will have a better voice.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

pilot25

Reaction score
I live in Maryland and as a test, I tried to go from my house to my wife's work which is mostly a few highways. It messed up along the way and gave me roads that were going AWAY from the intended route. However, in general, it has given me a few rare goofs. I am going to test it against my Garmin when I go to Las Vegas for a week in May. I travel all around the LV basin area when I go visit, and there is tons of new road construction going on. We'll see how they do against each other.

I used it to travel up 295 to Baltimore. It wanted me to go off the highway onto a side road for a couple miles and back onto 295.

It's crap....Use the map mode look at the route before you leave and you won't have a problem

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
For more popular places it's pretty spot on for me, but one time it kept directing me to some factory instead of the place I was suppose to go lol.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

texasPI

Reaction score
This is not something unique to Google. If you've ever used a standalone GPS unit you'd know that they ALL choose stupid routes sometimes.

JCR

Reaction score
Navigation

Navigation tends to draw a straight line between your start and end points and then calculates the route. Hence, the odd instructions. I've had a few odd ball instructions, but they seem to occur before I get a satellite link. I've also found that it picks as a start location some place I've been in the past rather than my current location, but that's easily corrected.

Obviously, someone needs to look at a stand alone GPS and figure out how to program Navigation so that you can force it to use highways, fastest, shortest or other routes

cruzincat

Reaction score
Today, I was on my way to Bel Air, MD and had extra time. I decided I would stop at the Best Buy in White Marsh. So, out of curiosity to see which exit it would want me to take on WM Blvd, I used voice nav to "navigate to best Buy". It took me right to it. ON I 95! Told me I had arrived at my destination as I passed it on 95. :mad:

tu3218

Reaction score
Today, I was on my way to Bel Air, MD and had extra time. I decided I would stop at the Best Buy in White Marsh. So, out of curiosity to see which exit it would want me to take on WM Blvd, I used voice nav to "navigate to best Buy". It took me right to it. ON I 95! Told me I had arrived at my destination as I passed it on 95. :mad:

I live right around there and yea I know what best buy your talking about. That best buy is like 30 yards off from the I95 so I guess I could see that lol

nikkix

Reaction score
i want to agree with the OP that yes the nav does send me on weird routes. however, i dont understand what "navigate to erin at home" means. my voice recognition works well, and i can navigate to "home" not "something at home"

one time in particular though, i had instructed it to navigate me to walmart and it took me to literally the middle of nowhere and said i had reached my destination in the middle of a country road. i have a major problem with the way it picks the routes.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
Neither my Droid nor my stand alone GPS understand "home" for me. Neither understand my wife's name. I put my home address labeled as a word I picked at random and it works every time to get me home from strange places.

GPS needs an option to choose/avoid road types. When I go from the south to the north of my city it routes me off the interstate (best route) too early every time. Since I have a basic idea where I am going, I look at the route first. But it has sent me door to door across the country with no issues.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
I left off my newest GPS pet peeve. Google is an awesome search engine, it is so smart if I misspell something it gives me choices "did you mean". But if I put in a street name "River Oaks" instead of "Riveroaks", it routes me to "River Oaks" in a nearby city, or the wrong area of the right city, instead of giving me an option for both. I have to be very careful when I have a name that could go as 1 or 2 words.

famac!

Reaction score
It works good for me 99% of the time. Once it did insist i was at the address already when in reality it was still about 2 miles further away.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I had type in a starting point to get started good. Just trying to use it on the fly where we were currently at gave wrong directions. It actually worked better that way.

chartsinck

Reaction score
My husband and I just joined the "Droid" world - Keep in mind it is hard to teach an "old" dog new tricks! We use to have VZ Navigator, which my husband used daily because it had a "traffic" section that not only told you there was traffic but told you what was causing it and how long before it cleared up. He is now very frustrated with google maps because it does not do this?? or does it? Is there an app that will take care of this for him??

Another (probably stupid) question - what is rooting and why??

Thank you for whatever help I can get.