Google Music SD card

brad0383

Reaction score
Is there a way to get Google Music to cache offline music to the external SD card and not internal storage?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Unless something has changed in the recent update, no I don't believe you can I think Google Music for some reason defaults to the internal with no way to change it. No I could be completely wrong about that, but I feel like I heard that on here before.

OP
B

brad0383

Reaction score
Has anyone tried a symlimk?

rjeatkrconley

Reaction score
brad0383 said:
Is there a way to get Google Music to cache offline music to the external SD card and not internal storage?

You can move it manually but not by default. I also dislike that you can not download it like from the amazon cloud. Personal preference.

bacK_N_87

Reaction score
rjeatkrconley said:
You can move it manually but not by default. I also dislike that you can not download it like from the amazon cloud. Personal preference.

Huh I don't think that's what the OP meant. I think he's saying when he makes his music offline can it be stored on the SD card instead of internal? If not Google should make that a future feature. Also you do realize Google music is in competition with Amazon MP3. You would have to do that "manually!"

bacK_N_87

Reaction score

SallyC

Reaction score
Thanks I appreciate that. I think this is why they want us all on Nexus devices. Galaxy Nexus doesn't have this issue.

That's interesting. I would have thought this is not device dependent but based on app and OS.

bacK_N_87

Reaction score
SallyC said:
That's interesting. I would have thought this is not device dependent but based on app and OS.

It shouldn't be but I was referring to the fact that the galaxy nexus doesn't partition its space like phones that use ext. SD cards.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Thanks I appreciate that. I think this is why they want us all on Nexus devices. Galaxy Nexus doesn't have this issue.

With the Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus, and Nexus 7, Google is moving away from SD cards. I think they'd prefer for the various manufacturers to start doing the same (and some have, like HTC). So, it's not surprising to me that they wouldn't include additional support for SD cards in some of their apps, especially for something like this. Beyond system stability and disliking the partitioning (which they claim can be confusing to users, and given how many threads we get around here about the partitioning of Motorola's memory, it seems to be the case), one of the reasons mentioned previously for moving away from SD cards is the security of apps and media content from piracy. Whether you completely buy that or not is another story (because things can be removed and cracked from internal storage as well as SD cards), but given what they've said and done in recent years, it's one of the explanations for the lack of SD card support in hardware and software.

Last edited:

bacK_N_87

Reaction score
bsweetness said:
With the Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus, and Nexus 7, Google is moving away from SD cards. I think they'd prefer for the various manufacturers to start doing the same (and some have, like HTC). So, it's not surprising to me that they wouldn't include additional support for SD cards in some of their apps, especially for something like this. Beyond system stability and disliking the partitioning (which they claim can be confusing to users, and given how many threads we get around here about the partitioning of Motorola's memory, it seems to be the case), one of the reasons mentioned previously for moving away from SD cards is the security of apps and media content from piracy. Whether you completely buy that or not is another story (because things can be removed and cracked from internal storage as well as SD cards), but it's a possible explanation given what they've said and done in recent years.

Right!!!

calculusdork

Reaction score

You absolutely can download your music from Google Play. If you can't figure out how to do it from the phone (not sure how), you can do it from a computer then move the songs to your phone. Go to the album you want to download, Shift+Click all the tracks, then click on the little triangle at the bottom right of any of the track names, then click "Download". Tracks will be zipped up together and downloaded. Hope that helps.

nonnasmyladie

Reaction score
Website
www.leonhascal.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
Nonnasmyladie
Google music messed up all the music on my phone. Now when I go to play music like 3/4 of my music catalog is grey and i can only listen to it online. It won't let me make them available offline.

It moved a bunch of music around that was on my SD card.

I do not like it. I would prefer to handle my music manually.