Google-Motorola Acquisition Deal to Be Decided Feb 13

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
googmot.jpeg

It's getting close folks. EU Regulators on Thursday set a deadline of Feb 13 for the Google takeover of Motorola Mobility. U.S. antitrust regulators are also assessing the deal. Motorola shareholders have already given the OK and it still remains a mystery what exactly Google is looking for out of the deal.

Stay tuned!

Source: Reuters

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
It can't come soon enough. Maybe Google can talk some sense into Motorola.

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
While it's been said that Google will allow Motorola to run their company as they have been it's still likely that there will be some changes to Motorola in the wake of this acquisition. One can only hope that Google will provide Motorola with some back bone and balls so they can put more pressure on carriers like Verizon to allow unlocked or unlockable bootloaders. While it doesn't entirely matter since devs have found ways around locked bootloaders it still does make devs and rom-loving consumers hesitant to buy devices that are locked. The real reason for roms/unlocked bootloaders is to strip out all the "junk" we consumers don't want.. *cough*MotoBlur*cough*... I don't know if Google will attempt to persuade Motorola to ditch MotoBlur (doubtful) but at the very least it be good if Google helped improve MotoBlur. Would be really nice if the consumer was given the choice between running Vanilla Android or MotoBlur on Motorola devices. Again the best way to assist with that choice is allowing ROM devs to do their thing and just staying out of their way.

.....enough said!

B-Unit

Reaction score
Problem being that its fairly obvious at this point that Moto is using VZW as a scapegoat considering that Samsung and HTC now allow for unlocked phones, not to mention the Nexus on VZ.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
While it's been said that Google will allow Motorola to run their company as they have been it's still likely that there will be some changes to Motorola in the wake of this acquisition. One can only hope that Google will provide Motorola with some back bone and balls so they can put more pressure on carriers like Verizon to allow unlocked or unlockable bootloaders. While it doesn't entirely matter since devs have found ways around locked bootloaders it still does make devs and rom-loving consumers hesitant to buy devices that are locked. The real reason for roms/unlocked bootloaders is to strip out all the "junk" we consumers don't want.. *cough*MotoBlur*cough*... I don't know if Google will attempt to persuade Motorola to ditch MotoBlur (doubtful) but at the very least it be good if Google helped improve MotoBlur. Would be really nice if the consumer was given the choice between running Vanilla Android or MotoBlur on Motorola devices. Again the best way to assist with that choice is allowing ROM devs to do their thing and just staying out of their way.

.....enough said!

:rolleyes: its not verizon that doesnt want unlockable bootloaders, its just motorolas cover...verizon got an exclusive galaxy nexus, the number 1 phone to be unlocked, htc has allowed their phones to be unlocked, including those on verizon...however, hopefully google will have motorola stop being ridiculous and unlock their bootloaders after this anyway

Reaction score
:rolleyes: its not verizon that doesnt want unlockable bootloaders, its just motorolas cover...verizon got an exclusive galaxy nexus, the number 1 phone to be unlocked, htc has allowed their phones to be unlocked, including those on verizon...however, hopefully google will have motorola stop being ridiculous and unlock their bootloaders after this anyway

^^^This. It is precisely why I got the Galaxy Nexus and told Moto to go piss up a rope.

And to my knowledge and everything I have read and seen (mainly on Fox Business) Google just wants the hardware patents. Can you imagine a Nexus with that type of hardware? Lol!

*Edited

Last edited:

goglen

Reaction score
Though I'm a "liberal", I ask: Why can Europe have any "control" over our businesses?

I'm baffled. I am a sort-of-liberal (I agree with helping those who are down, not chronologically lazy... and disagree with excessive CEO profits)... But, if 2 American companies want to merge, and the US department(s) agree... how in any &diety does any European entity have any say in the matter? It is literally like the Foreign Minister of Somalia saying "Um, I hate Motorola. Google cannot by them." Please explain this. What if Microsoft & Nokia merge to form a new mega-opoly? (oh, wait... they are, slowly...) Seriously, 2 American companies. Why do we need outside permission? Was the US asked permission when Volkswagen bought Rolls Royce? What about any other equivalent? How come Europe can complete their own purchases without our permission... but we need theirs? Again, note, I am a "mostly-liberal". I agree with the Google-Motorola purchase **ONLY** to stop the Apple Cart. A cart that should have been stopped LONG ago (numerous lost "American" jobs, extra cash in their bank, that they want to re-patriot for pennies-on-the-dollar even though those same profit dollars are FROM Americans)... Bah! I'm sick of ultra-rich figuring out new ways to squeeze money from the middle & lower classes just so that they can get "yet one more" uber:rich thingy.
googmot.jpeg
It's getting close folks. EU Regulators on Thursday set a deadline of Feb 13 for the Google takeover of Motorola Mobility. U.S. antitrust regulators are also assessing the deal. Motorola shareholders have already given the OK and it still remains a mystery what exactly Google is looking for out of the deal. Stay tuned! Source: Reuters

steveil

Reaction score
Well, I was happy with my OG and now happy with my Galaxy Nexus. Would not mind an unlocked Moto also without the Blur.

combatmedic870

Reaction score
this is just for patents. let the war begin. Google just needs to get rights over 3g and 4g and bring apple to their knees.

Reaction score
I'm baffled. I am a sort-of-liberal (I agree with helping those who are down, not chronologically lazy... and disagree with excessive CEO profits)... But, if 2 American companies want to merge, and the US department(s) agree... how in any &diety does any European entity have any say in the matter? It is literally like the Foreign Minister of Somalia saying "Um, I hate Motorola. Google cannot by them." Please explain this. What if Microsoft & Nokia merge to form a new mega-opoly? (oh, wait... they are, slowly...) Seriously, 2 American companies. Why do we need outside permission? Was the US asked permission when Volkswagen bought Rolls Royce? What about any other equivalent? How come Europe can complete their own purchases without our permission... but we need theirs? Again, note, I am a "mostly-liberal". I agree with the Google-Motorola purchase **ONLY** to stop the Apple Cart. A cart that should have been stopped LONG ago (numerous lost "American" jobs, extra cash in their bank, that they want to re-patriot for pennies-on-the-dollar even though those same profit dollars are FROM Americans)... Bah! I'm sick of ultra-rich figuring out new ways to squeeze money from the middle & lower classes just so that they can get "yet one more" uber:rich thingy.
If you are fsmiliar with psychology, you will understsnd this. Our government suffers from chronic and crippling codependency tendencies. They think they need to and HAVE to please everyone and make everyone happy. Plus they have a hard time saying no. And that is why Europe - eho has no business telling us what is acceptable for our companies are able to do so. Case in point, tour Rolls Royce/Volkswagen merger. They didn't ask us because it wasn't oir companies, and we had no business telling them what we thoight they need/should do with their companies.

Here
is
my
five
lines. ( "King of the Self-Edit'" )