Google Maps Navigation Lifesaver

dr.droid

Reaction score
I decided to spend more time testing the navigator today. I have a standalone GPS, the problem is it's never around when I need it and when it is in my vehicle I always have to remember to lock it. I live in a Montana mountain town and Verizon coverage is excellent in each town and spotty to no coverage in between. I driven these roads thousands of times so really no need for GPS.

Well today I had to make a short 90 mile trip to the next town most of which there isn't cell coverage. I turned on the navigator and said my destination, as I entered the canyon, to my surprise, the map was there. The cell signal was off but the map kept refreshing the route.

All of a sudden a full on winter blizzard hit and it was a complete white-out. I had to slow down to less than 50 mph and visibility was 20 yards. It was extremely difficult to tell where the next curve in the road was. Then I looked at the Droid navigator and there it was - like radar, showing me the whole layout ahead of me. For travelers in inclement weather, this application is priceless. Just remember to enter your destination and Google Maps Navigation will download a cached file even though cell coverage is gone. Awesome app!

adam8ch

Reaction score
you should call Verizon and pitch that as an ad ;P.

:D

volando

Reaction score
so how does the navigation work when there is NO reception? i know verizon has a magical net all over the us, but say you go deep into the wilderness... you still have the GPS signals, but does the droid actually have the maps in it? seems like it loads everything from the web...

inigomntoya

Reaction score
That is good to know. I am traveling to a place that has spotty cellphone coverage (also because of mountains and canyons). I was worried that the navigator would completely crap out.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's just awesome. I agree the App is just AWESOME. Also glad to hear you got back safe. Stay warm :)!

namelessNN

Reaction score
so how does the navigation work when there is NO reception? i know verizon has a magical net all over the us, but say you go deep into the wilderness... you still have the GPS signals, but does the droid actually have the maps in it? seems like it loads everything from the web...
it does. but if you set your route up PRIOR to losing cell coverage it remembers your trip. if you needed to change destinations and didn't have cell coverage, you'd be out of luck.

onecleanjetta

Reaction score
ill bet it also uses gps signals just like a real gps not just cell phone towers