Google maps lag and force close issue solved?

andy'sfriend

Reaction score
Y'all,

As a result of the ongoing privacy kerfuffle regarding android and apple (I.e. the collection of location based data) I turned off the option in location and security settings to use "wireless networks" to get location data. Surprisingly, google maps no longer freezes, lags, or force closes.

Hoping some other people can test this out--by turning off the same option--and we can figure out if this might be a work around.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums

anava73

Reaction score
It is true I turned mine off last summer because my maps kept giving me problems. It would throw my location WAY off (sometimes more then 100 miles). I never had a problem after that.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

UWSkier

Reaction score
Tried this on mine. Google maps 5.3.1 still lags like hell. Wish I could roll back to 4.5 but the farthest back I can go with the new release is 5.0. Sucks.

OP
A

andy'sfriend

Reaction score
Tried this on mine. Google maps 5.3.1 still lags like hell. Wish I could roll back to 4.5 but the farthest back I can go with the new release is 5.0. Sucks.

Sorry to hear that. The improvement for me was rather stark.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums

boomerang

Reaction score

I searched 4.5 googlemaps apk and was able to download and install. Solved my problems

UWSkier

Reaction score

I searched 4.5 googlemaps apk and was able to download and install. Solved my problems
Good idea. Sideloaded 4.5. Will see if that makes things happier. Damn thing was practically unusable yesterday on a roadtrip. It didn't force close and lag as bad with location services disabled, but it would still freeze if you tried to scroll around on the map at all.

jhumbo

Reaction score
Thank you for the tip. Installed version 4.5 and I'm much happier. Version 5 lags so much it nearly unusable.

kjjb0204

Reaction score
I'll give it a shot with the latest maps update and wireless location off.

texstar420

Reaction score
Yeah the new maps is garbage. Can't tell you how many darn turns I missed cause it caused my phone to reboot and I had no idea. I just dl'd v4.5 so I will see how it works. Thanks for letting us know.

kjjb0204

Reaction score
5.5 out today, I'm going to see if that lags or freezes. The previous update is completely unusable.

UWSkier

Reaction score
After a week with 4.5, I'm happy using my GPS again. Just be sure to disable automatic updates.

kjjb0204

Reaction score
Used the new 5.5 update for about 200 miles today and worked flawlessly. Hopefully it stays that way.

nts3rd

Reaction score
With gingerbread, it seems like it's finally stopped locking up. I can scroll, turn, and zoom through the 3D buildings with no problems or lag. Doesn't matter how many layers I have on, either.

kjjb0204

Reaction score
Yep, no freezes or lags on the 5.5 maps with gingerbread update. Works great now.