Google maps 5

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Is out now. Pick it up for 3d map viewing and caching of routes in the event of a signal outage.

tappin and a talkin

pyro6128

Reaction score
Weird, I can't get the maps to rotate through multitouch. The 3d and compass all work, but when I try to rotate the map nothing happens.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
works pretty good - seems to be mostly downtown areas (at least in the DFW area) that have it, but still cool

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I just flew to los angeles (in maps) and no 3d buildings either. There may be a layer for it but I can't find it.

tappin and a talkin

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Weird, I can't get the maps to rotate through multitouch. The 3d and compass all work, but when I try to rotate the map nothing happens.

The rotation where you use two fingers? Try seperating them by around an inch. Oh and if you have the compass setting turned on so that it faces the direction you're facing I don't think you can do the rotate thing.

tappin and a talkin

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Oh there we go. You have to zoom like all the way in to get the buildings to appear but after that you can zoom out.

aefe2305-5b6b-c9ac.jpg

tappin and a talkin

Agrajag

Reaction score
Okay, trying to get this going with my Droid (1).

I also can see 3D buildings in nearby Philly. I can use two fingers to rotate the 3D (very cool).

However, I too cannot rotate anything UNLESS it's set to be at my current location which has no 3D buildings.

I also cannot use my two fingers to spin anything clock-wise our counter-clock-wise no matter what mode I'm in.

Any ideas?

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok Gang, loving life (Even though I just got laid off, and house on the line, damn ....)

Original Droid
Sapphire 1.1.1

Works great!

With map view straight down:

To Rotate: two fingers apart and rotate them.

To go to a 3D perspective: two fingers apart at top of screen, bring them down, opposite to go back to straight down view.

Watch the video, first few seconds to get the jist:
http://www.droid-life.com/2010/12/16/video-google-maps-5-with-3d-in-action/

3D buildings if available will be below 1000ft scale (panned to NYC and tested just now)

For those trying to get rotation movement of the map by turning their droids, touch the "my location" icon in upper right, it toggles that function once you have pressed it to get the map to your location.

This is nice!

Last edited:

pyro6128

Reaction score
still no multitouch rotation. Very strange. I wonder whats up, I can rotate fine in google earth

Agrajag

Reaction score
That spin is what I'm doing but it's not doing a thing. I'm rooted with CM 6.1.2.