Google map crashing

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Even before I was rooted I would NEVER call this phone slow, by any means. Does it VERY occasionally stutter a bit when switching screens? Surely. Nothing I would call "so damn slow".

My problem isn't your constant whining. My issue is your inability to do anything about it. Multiple people have given you suggestion after suggestion but you flat out obstinately refuse because "I shouldn't have to do anything to make it run better". It is beyond annoying. It took me MONTHS to convince you to try another launcher. MONTHS. And there are 50 other launchers out there. Some of us think trying different launchers is one of the hella cool things about Android, yet you flat out refused to try one. Have you even seen Buzz Launcher? I played with that for months before I bought NEXT Launcher.

And many of us recommended a Cache Cleaner to try and help you, yet you refuse because you simply SHOULDN'T HAVE TO DO ANYTHING TO MAKE MY PHONE RUN BETTER. So you prefer to be miserable instead of trying to actually learn about the phone and try some other options.

Even when someone with a legit issue comes here that can be fixed your reply? "It's cuz your phone sucks, nothing you can do about it...":
Yea, that's helpful.

You need an iPhone. Please get an iPhone. You can get one on Ebay for $200.

OP
torch709

torch709

Reaction score
Checked my animation settings they are all at 1x. Even with the April 4 update of maps the issue continues. When I uninstall the updates I have no problems with maps. I'm still at lost what could be causing this issue though

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Droid Forums

lloydsw

Reaction score
The only problem I've ever had with Google maps is on longer - 2+ hour trips - I've had it black out. More an annoyance than anything

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
The only problem I've ever had with Google maps is on longer - 2+ hour trips - I've had it black out. More an annoyance than anything

Are you using the newest app update? The Play Store reviews are kind of like thus Forum....works good for some and not so good for others.

Sent from my XT907 using Droid Forums

lloydsw

Reaction score
Are you using the newest app update? The Play Store reviews are kind of like thus Forum....works good for some and not so good for others.

Yes, I'm am using the latest update. Here's an interesting side effect I had yesterday: On my long drive up to see my Mom, when maps blacked out, it took iHeartradio with it. On the way back home, it took out TuneIn. Go figure.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Yes, I'm am using the latest update. Here's an interesting side effect I had yesterday: On my long drive up to see my Mom, when maps blacked out, it took iHeartradio with it. On the way back home, it took out TuneIn. Go figure.

That's kind of odd. Makes me wonder if the issue is not specifically with the Maps app and maybe it's an incompatibility issue with Maps and other Play Store apps? Could be why it works good for some and not so good for others. I don't remember what issues I had, I just remember that it works better with the stock (no updates) version. I have a business trip coming up in May & plan on installing the newest update and see how it works. At least I know I can always uninstall the updates if the app goes all "wonky" on me. Thanks for the update.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Of course there's always WAZE which Google liked so much they paid a BILLION dollars for it.
Actually that's not a bad Trouble Shooting step. Install WAZE and try it out. No problems? I think that would =certainly narrow down the cause a bit.
i.e. NOT a GPS thing, specifically that app if Waze works ok.

jimmythegent

Reaction score
IF I get an iPhone, it will be the iPhone6 or iPhone Air, whatever they conjure up for marketing.

When I say want an iPhone it is just due to wanting something fluid.

For the past 2 months now, most of the time when I hit the home button, the bottom row of icons take a second to appear, and then the clock widget finally appears. I checked my friends phone who has the MAXX and it does the SAME thing on his.

I asked him does he mind, and he said "Mind what?"

So I guess to each his own. I need something more reliable, without rooting, I dont mean to be annoying and the phone is better with some aspects than the iPhone, but overall, I think its the best bet for me and the "premium" money.

Last night, my friend came over, and I was going to show him a pic of something, and it was just laggy, took too long to load of the SD card, where as, I believe, this is the reason some newer phones have larger internal memory and no SD slot.

I also messed around with some Developer Settings that Hodor pointed out, didnt do anything (did get excited that it might enhance the performance)

I know this will make me seem old school, but I really miss my old flip RAZR, cool phone, compact, etc. Camera blew, but so does the one on this thing (and yes, I know, as far as content viewing, internet, etc the phone was just a phone really, just saying)

Last edited:

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Try that Buzz Launcher Jimmy. I was blown away by that. Not really my cup of tea but the different home screens you can download on that are just insane. I didn't even know Android was capable of some of that stuff....
May not help with your lag, but at the very least, you might appreciate Android a bit more.

And I assure you Jimmy, all the modern Android Phones have "arrived". There is no lag at all in any of the recent phones that I've seen.
And you did see Kit Kit has been officially announced? Maybe that will bring you back to us. ;)

lloydsw

Reaction score
That's kind of odd. Makes me wonder if the issue is not specifically with the Maps app and maybe it's an incompatibility issue with Maps and other Play Store apps? Could be why it works good for some and not so good for others. I don't remember what issues I had, I just remember that it works better with the stock (no updates) version. I have a business trip coming up in May & plan on installing the newest update and see how it works. At least I know I can always uninstall the updates if the app goes all "wonky" on me. Thanks for the update.

Of course, it's also possible that one of the two streaming apps took out maps. Another thing, may be related, is I got a GSOM warning that the battery was getting hot. This was likely related to two apps running full throttle (maps & streaming app), battery on the charger & phone baking in the sun.

lloydsw

Reaction score
Another thing I really like about the new maps is the routing based on traffic, I've not seen that in earlier versions. Also - and the was the first I've seen it - while sitting in a park lot on I-95, maps popped up and offered me an alternate route without traffic. I'm used to this feature when I borrow my wife's GPS, it's nice to see maps incorporating this feature.

jimmythegent

Reaction score
I dunno what you guys are talking about. I got it set to automatically download the latest updates. Maybe that's my issue

lloydsw

Reaction score
Part of the reason I use maps over a standalone gps is that I like putting it in satellite view & see what's around me as I drive.