Google & Lenovo Team Up to Bring Project Tango’s Augmented Reality to a Smartphone

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
tango-phone-google-lenovo.jpg

For well over a year, Google has been working hard on one of their more creative smartphone ideas, and now it looks like Lenovo plans to partner with them to make it a reality. Project Tango is the innovative endeavor and its purpose is to bring enhanced augmented reality to a smartphone. The two companies already have a working prototype, so the future looks bright for this technology to come to a mass retail market.

Johnny Lee, a member of the Tango team at Google, had this to say about the augmented reality features of the new Project Tango-equipped phone, "We can use the room around us to play games, and hide behind the furniture. Project Tango creates a magical window.” Jeff Meredith, vice president at Lenovo, shared at the CES unveiling, “We locked arms with Google to bring out a consumer device based on Tango.” Meredith elaborated that their goal was to create a mainstream retail device.

It turns out that Google and Lenovo aren't the only big players collaborating on this device. Qualcomm worked directly with the two tech giants to make sure the new Snapdragon CPU will be able to handle the augmented reality functionality of the phone.

A few other details were shared about the phone (along with the fancy pictures of the prototype). Besides the Snapdragon processor, (of which the model was not shared), we know that the device will definitely be "phablet-sized" but will be less than 6.5-inches. They are targeting a sub $500 price-point, and they already have over 5,000 developers working on apps for the phone. The device is expected to launch globally and in the US in the summer of this year.

From the description it sounds like the AR features of the device will make a big impression on games, but will also have an even greater range of practical applications as well. One example given was a Project Tango app from Lowe's home improvement, which uses the phone's environmental 3D sensing capabilities to help you determine if that new fridge you are considering will actually fit in your kitchen.

In fact, a surprising number of fully complete apps are already on the Google Play Store for Project Tango. Here's a link so you can check them out (obviously, just to see the examples since they are without their functionality on a regular device): Featured Apps - Android Apps on Google Play

Industry analysts believe that Augmented Reality will quickly grow to be a $120 Billion industry. What do you folks think? Is it a gimmick or a gimme now!

Be sure to drop by our brand new section for further discussions regarding the Project Tango phone: Project Tango by Lenovo & Google | Android Forum at DroidForums.net

Source: SlashGear

Last edited:

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I sure hope this doesn't turn into the next "3D" technology that has no real use or purpose other than the "neat" factor.

veraderock

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The example they use of checking if that Lowes refrigerator will fit in your kitchen suggests some useful applications. The big problem with 3D (IMHO) has always been that you have to strap a contraption to your head. Although, Tango does seem more geared towards industrial applications.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I can see this having some really really useful applications. Need to remodel a room in your home? Boom! Load up the app and away you go. Possibilities are really endless...

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I can see this having some really really useful applications. Need to remodel a room in your home? Boom! Load up the app and away you go. Possibilities are really endless...
Depending on how far they go with it..mechanical and engineering applications could be within reach..

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I sure hope this doesn't turn into the next "3D" technology that has no real use or purpose other than the "neat" factor.

I think that is what will happen. They may find a few key apps and may even market it right to grab excitement early. But I see this being like the evo 3d where it when from high end to budget phone for carriers like Virgin Mobile and Boost.

The example they use of checking if that Lowes refrigerator will fit in your kitchen suggests some useful applications. The big problem with 3D (IMHO) has always been that you have to strap a contraption to your head. Although, Tango does seem more geared towards industrial applications.

Agree that they may find a few useful apps. Unfortunately they will not get enough developers to make it worth it, which is what happened with 3d phones.

But hey, no fault in trying. Even if they swing and miss they can learn or build something from the failure.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I like the concept. I hope these apps being developed are not way over the average user [like me] head..

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It's kind of a cool concept, but also, IMO, a very niche market that will utilize this regularly. It's still cool to see them following through on their ideas though. Tango has been a long time coming, so seeing them prepping to actually release a device is good.