Google Home - Routines

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
This is not new, Assistant Routines has been around for a while now. But it's worth posting for those that may not be familiar with the functionality. You can use Routines on your Google Home devices to perform multiple tasks with one command. From the Google support page: "Get daily help with your personal routines. Simply say one command and your Google Assistant will do multiple things." In recent months Google has even rolled Routines into basic things on our phones like the alarm clock. Ever noticed that Assistant symbol underneath each saved alarm in your clock app? You can tap that to set Routines for when you dismiss your alarm (read the news, turn lights on, play music, adjust the thermostat, read your calendar, etc.).

Here is the Google Support page with all the specific information: Set up & manage Routines - Android - Google Nest Help

Note: You can also setup Routines on your phone by going into the Google app > Settings > Google Assistant > Assistant tab > Routines.

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Thanks for these posts! Since I was using the Moto app, I hadn't "activated" my Google Assistant (read somewhere ages ago that they didn't work together). Now that my Moto Talk to me, or drive, or whatever it's called, doesn't seem to be cooperating, I want to move on with the Google Assistant, but honestly didn't even know what all it offered. This is extremely helpful! Thank you!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Thanks for these posts! Since I was using the Moto app, I hadn't "activated" my Google Assistant (read somewhere ages ago that they didn't work together). Now that my Moto Talk to me, or drive, or whatever it's called, doesn't seem to be cooperating, I want to move on with the Google Assistant, but honestly didn't even know what all it offered. This is extremely helpful! Thank you!

Assistant and the Moto app do work together. It just depends on your phone model whether you have to setup your Voice Model with the Moto app first...or with the Google app (Assistant) first. Your Voice Model is you recording the "OK Google..." launch phrase. On the original Moto Z series you had to setup your Voice Model with the Moto app first. In subsequent Moto Z phones you have to setup your Voice Model with the Google app (Assistant) first.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Okay..... Don't go into detail, but remember, I'm still rocking the original Z, so that's all I've known.
I'll get there when I find some time to read up and doink around with it.
I do truly appreciate all your time you devote to helping folks like me

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Since you said you bought a Z4, it doesn't have Moto Voice (sadly) so when you setup the new phone Google will prompt you to record a Voice Model for all the Assistant hands free stuff. Just follow the in screen prompts and you'll be good to go.

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Since you said you bought a Z4, it doesn't have Moto Voice (sadly) so when you setup the new phone Google will prompt you to record a Voice Model for all the Assistant hands free stuff. Just follow the in screen prompts and you'll be good to go.

Thanks, I will. Do I get to call my assistant something other than "OK Google"?

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
No. That's the only launch phrase.

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Haven't gotten to do anything with the assistant yet. Hoping for a slow day at work tomorrow.
I'm moved into my new phone, just need to tweak things after I recharge my own batteries. It's way past my bedtime

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Now (for awhile) there's also been....hey Google

So.... There's always that choice

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Now (for awhile) there's also been....hey Google

So.... There's always that choice

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Good point, thanks Bruben. You can use either OK Google or Hey Google. But no custom launch phrase with Assistant. That was one of those special Moto Voice features that died after the original Moto Z series. Once Assistant came pre-installed on Moto phones (starting somewhere around the Z2 era) no more custom launch phrase.

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Good point, thanks Bruben. You can use either OK Google or Hey Google. But no custom launch phrase with Assistant. That was one of those special Moto Voice features that died after the original Moto Z series. Once Assistant came pre-installed on Moto phones (starting somewhere around the Z2 era) no more custom launch phrase.

My phone has been called "Lady" forever.... "Hey Lady, what time is it?" "Okay Google" or "Hey Google" doesn't have the same "ring" to it...

Last edited: