Google Home Now Injecting "Ads" Into Your Daily Routine?!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
google-home-1_thumb800.jpg

Over the past few days there have been many complaints that Google Home is injecting Beauty And The Best ads into normal search results. If you ask it for the weather it will give you your normal weather report and then ad at the end "By the way, Beauty and The Beast opens in theaters today". Some Android users reported hearing this from their normal Google Assistant app as well. Google has responded saying this was not intended to be an ad, rather it is simply a part of the "My Day" feature which attempts to incorporate relevant and timely content after giving you your usual helpful information. According to Google this is just an attempt to provide "unique" content to their users. In an age where we encounter ads everywhere we look it is clear that folks are ad fatigued. Anything that looks like an ad in a place it wasn't expected can trigger the mildest of people. Google will have to be careful going forward injecting ad like content. If Google's Assistant remains a free service forever do you think it is fair for them to eventually inject ads as a way to monetize the assistant? Would normal ads in your information deter you from using the service?

via TheVerge

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
My Home hasn't said that "ad" yet, but I did read about this yesterday. It will not throw me into a fit of rage if it happens sporadically. But I don't want to know about new movies playing, or anything else like that in the My Day feed, unless I ask for that specific information.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I just asked Home to tell me My Day again this morning. Time, Weather, Calendar, and News. No mention of the movie, or any other movies. I wonder if the folks that heard this have any of the Entertainment options selected in the Home app My Day options. There are dozens of options to select in there for what you like to hear read aloud.

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
ROFL..... GOOGLE...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Do we know that this really was an Ad? Or just Google serving information to people that regularly search for movie information? Not every Home user heard this at the end of their My Day feed.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Yes, we do.

"When contacted by The Verge for more information, Google denied that the audio snippet was actually an ad, initially providing this rather strange statement: “This isn't an ad; the beauty in the Assistant is that it invites our partners to be our guest and share their tales.” That appeared to describe... an advertisement. Using Beauty and the Beast references. Later on Thursday, Google sent a follow-up statement with a more thorough explanation:

This wasn’t intended to be an ad. What’s circulating online was a part of our My Day feature, where after providing helpful information about your day, we sometimes call out timely content. We’re continuing to experiment with new ways to surface unique content for users and we could have done better in this case."

Translation: Yes, it was an ad. Trying new stuff. Well, that blew up. Sorry, our bad.

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
I have to ask Echo to get an add... But then again, I'm asking...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk