Google Home Having Trouble Playing Purchased Music

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
ap_resize-1-png.77699

One of the main features of Google Home is the ability to Play music. It is a speaker afterall. Af first the device was only able to play Music from Google's catalog. This feature is pretty useless for anyone who is not a Google Play Music subscriber. Google recently added the ability to play Music purchased through the Play Store, but people are having mixed results. The issues that people are having vary. Some people can actually play one song from their library before Google Home begins to play genre based suggested content. Google Play won't play all songs by a certain artists for some. One other user says that Google Home can't find his uploaded music, but he can play the songs from his phone and cast them to the device. Google claims they are looking into the issues, and are asking for users to submit detailed reports of the issues they are having so they can better squash the bugs.

via AndroidPolice

Attachments

• ap_resize (1).png
    ap_resize (1).png
    128 KB · Views: 4,136

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
So far I have not had any issues playing my own personal music on my Home, she seems to get it right every time I ask her to play something.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

duxdad

Reaction score
I purchased a "Home" when they were first released, unsuccessfully tried to play my music uploaded to Google then returned it for a refund. That was a long time ago and they still have not fixed this it seems. Now I will probably wait for a possible Gen 2 device before purchasing again if they get this sorted out.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I purchased a "Home" when they were first released, unsuccessfully tried to play my music uploaded to Google then returned it for a refund. That was a long time ago and they still have not fixed this it seems. Now I will probably wait for a possible Gen 2 device before purchasing again if they get this sorted out.

there is always amazon echo :)

I do have a google home, I guess I will give the music a try to see if the bug affects me - first chance I get.

on a side note, it is also being reported the Google Home is also having problems with philips hue bulbs for some users. No problems here on that issue.

Last edited:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Ever since Google added the multi user support we have not had any issues with her playing our catalog of music, or individual songs. Then again....I do still pay for a Family Music Subscription so that may factor into it.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
So.. you pay all this money for a dedicated "Home" device, and it can't even do what my smartphone running Assistant can do?

I'm all set. Playing music is my only function for Google Assistant, other than GPS in the car, and I save a lot of music that you simply cannot purchase in Google.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
So.. you pay all this money for a dedicated "Home" device, and it can't even do what my smartphone running Assistant can do?

I'm all set. Playing music is my only function for Google Assistant, other than GPS in the car, and I save a lot of music that you simply cannot purchase in Google.
True, they are not cheap. But I got mine for less than $100 and it has always done everything I expected it to do, with no errors or issues. A good Bluetooth speaker would cost similarly, so I'm Ok with the price and what it was designed to do.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8

don't knock it if you don't have it.

can you access smartphone from across the room? or from another room? If playing music is the only reason then it would not be worth the money. I mainly use the amazon echo. I have an echo and two dots. It is so convenient to have. It is nice being able to change the temperature as I walk in the front door without having to pull out my phone. It is nice to get the weather and news every morning without having to find the phone. It is nice to turn my tvs and computers on/off without pulling out the phone or without getting out of the recliner or as I walk out the front door. voice commands are wonderful.

I have the google home. I mainly got it as a backup for my lights and thermostat when the echo has problems. but I also plan to use it for calls when that feature is finally updated. It will be nice to make phone calls with it when busy or "fallen and can't get up"

RyanPm40

Reaction score
don't knock it if you don't have it.

can you access smartphone from across the room? or from another room? If playing music is the only reason then it would not be worth the money. I mainly use the amazon echo. I have an echo and two dots. It is so convenient to have. It is nice being able to change the temperature as I walk in the front door without having to pull out my phone. It is nice to get the weather and news every morning without having to find the phone. It is nice to turn my tvs and computers on/off without pulling out the phone or without getting out of the recliner or as I walk out the front door. voice commands are wonderful.

I have the google home. I mainly got it as a backup for my lights and thermostat when the echo has problems. but I also plan to use it for calls when that feature is finally updated. It will be nice to make phone calls with it when busy or "fallen and can't get up"

Fair enough, I suppose it definitely depends on the user! I rent an apartment, so a smart thermostat isn't really an option for me, but I admit it is a very cool thing to have. For controlling lights, does it pair with Phillips bulbs or something? What hardware do you need for your TV/computer to turn on? I mainly just Chromecast something to get my TV on if I'm being lazy, heh.

Google Assistant may not work across multiple rooms from a phone, but I can certainly use it from across the room- that's actually how I find my misplaced phone if I left it on vibrate, I just keep shouting "Ok Google" until I hear a "ding" lol. I can't really figure out a use case where I'd need it from another room, or really any case where I wouldn't have my phone on me. But hey, we all have our own needs and wants

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Fair enough, I suppose it definitely depends on the user! I rent an apartment, so a smart thermostat isn't really an option for me, but I admit it is a very cool thing to have. For controlling lights, does it pair with Phillips bulbs or something? What hardware do you need for your TV/computer to turn on? I mainly just Chromecast something to get my TV on if I'm being lazy, heh.

Google Assistant may not work across multiple rooms from a phone, but I can certainly use it from across the room- that's actually how I find my misplaced phone if I left it on vibrate, I just keep shouting "Ok Google" until I hear a "ding" lol. I can't really figure out a use case where I'd need it from another room, or really any case where I wouldn't have my phone on me. But hey, we all have our own needs and wants

I rent an apartment too, never told the landlord about the thermostat change :) Changed it out about three years ago. I figure as long as I change it back before moving there will be no issues. but then...

It does work with philips hue lights and most of the other smart light bulbs :)

almost forgot to answer - I use wemo insite switches for my tvs and computers. but just about any smart switch will do. You can also get harmony hub for the tv controls.

Last edited:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Just FYI for those that may not know. One of the cool features of a Home is the ability to turn on movies (or other You Tube content) hands free and send it to any connected Chromecast. And the ability to send music to any connected Music Cast...also hands free.

We have a long thread somewhere with a listing of a lot of the features and comparisons between a Home and an Echo.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Just FYI for those that may not know. One of the cool features of a Home is the ability to turn on movies (or other You Tube content) hands free and send it to any connected Chromecast. And the ability to send music to any connected Music Cast...also hands free.

We have a long thread somewhere with a listing of a lot of the features and comparisons between a Home and an Echo.

but you gotta have chromecast. googles way of getting you spend your hard earned cash on their products :)

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
but you gotta have chromecast. googles way of getting you spend your hard earned cash on their products :)
How many Echo Dots did you say you bought? Amazon wants your $$$ also.