Google Duo is live and I don't see how it......

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Google-Allo-and-Duo-Message-Video-Call-App.jpg

Google Duo is now live in the Play store for those interested in trying it out. Out of all the anticipated apps and devices coming out of Google it is safe to say that this and Allo no one cared about. And for good reason as it is no different than Hangouts. With FB messenger, Hangouts, Skype, and other third party apps, we really did not need another one, especially one that adds nothing new (as far as bells and whistles) to the table. I am interested to see who actually like the app.

Google Duo - Android Apps on Google Play

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I guess the differences from hangouts are that it works better on slow networks and you use your phone number vs an assigned Google voice number or internet connection. But why not just update hangouts with those features?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 20u AT&T
Twitter
kixfan
Makes no sense to me. I see no use for these apps at all. Have to wonder what they are thinking.

lparsons21

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 5X
I'm not a big Hangouts fan, but Duo doesn't seem like a step in the right direction. I can use Hangouts on practically anything, Duo is pretty much phone only it seems.

I'll stick with Hangouts as long as possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Read a comment on droid life that made sense. Hangouts require a Google account where duo and allo doesn't. Now yeah you must have a Google account to get it from the play store (unless you snag the apk from a site). But for Google one devices meant to appeal to customers in China. They can have the app preinstalled on those phones and people can use those apps without a Google account as it uses your phone number.

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
I do not understand why they need your cellphone number to use duo! Does it use up your data or can I use it on WIFI?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

kinfolk248

Reaction score
Read a comment on droid life that made sense. Hangouts require a Google account where duo and allo doesn't. Now yeah you must have a Google account to get it from the play store (unless you snag the apk from a site). But for Google one devices meant to appeal to customers in China. They can have the app preinstalled on those phones and people can use those apps without a Google account as it uses your phone number.

Still could have loosened hangouts and made it the default app, but what do I know

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I do not understand why they need your cellphone number to use duo! Does it use up your data or can I use it on WIFI?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Either if you like. You also get an option to limit mobile data usage, which streams the video at a lower resolution. Think of this more of a Facetime for android without using anything other then your native contacts app and Duo. Its a very simple design. If for some reason anyone wants to try it, and doesn't want to use it anymore, you can also unregister your phone number if you hate it.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
To quote a tweet from MKHB

Allo
Duo
Hangouts
Google Voice
Messenger

Yes Google voice still exists.

duxdad

Reaction score
Google-Allo-and-Duo-Message-Video-Call-App.jpg

Google Duo is now live in the Play store for those interested in trying it out. Out of all the anticipated apps and devices coming out of Google it is safe to say that this and Allo no one cared about. And for good reason as it is no different than Hangouts. With FB messenger, Hangouts, Skype, and other third party apps, we really did not need another one, especially one that adds nothing new (as far as bells and whistles) to the table. I am interested to see who actually like the app.

Google Duo - Android Apps on Google Play
Happy to see Duo. I don't use Hangouts and am tired of my iPhone using kids sticking Facetime in my face :)
Happy

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
hmmm... duo seems meh, allo seems like it might be ok, I pre-registered for allo but finding people who use it probably won't be easy.

who knows.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
hmmm... duo seems meh, allo seems like it might be ok, I pre-registered for allo but finding people who use it probably won't be easy.

who knows.
Yeah, especially now we are just getting a few people to start using hangouts. And even then most people I send text from my hangouts come up on their SMS/MMS app. At this point why not integrate allo and duo into the stock Google messenger app?
I understand keeping a separate apps for those in China but for us here in America where we have tons of messaging like apps. Be nice to reign in a few of them down to one apps vs 5.

g_what

Reaction score
What I don't understand is why I was not notified about the release. I registered to be notified. I would think that means an automatic email would be sent to everyone on the 'registered' list as soon as the app became available... apparently not. I learned about it via blog posts. Lovely.