Google Calendar Events not synching to Motorola Droid

ffijjitt

Reaction score
I've spent hours on the internet, and on this forum, over many weeks trying to find the solution to this problem. Hard to believe that with so many people experiencing this problem that there is no solution yet.

My events that are in my Google Calendar on the web do not show up in my Google Calendar on my Motorola Droid. I first noticed this a few weeks ago. Before that, I was having problems with getting reminders on my phone for events that I had entered in my calendar. Those are still hit or miss. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason. I have one event that I'm supposed to get a reminder for every day at the same time. Sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't.

I'm not having any problems with Gmail (thank goodness) or Contacts. This calendar issue is driving me crazy because I really depend on it.

I've tried doing the manual sync and all that but nothing works. The events are simply not showing in my calendar on my phone. Really sucks.

Is this something that Google is supposed to fix? I used to love my Droid, but it's really starting to tee me off.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've spent hours on the internet, and on this forum, over many weeks trying to find the solution to this problem. Hard to believe that with so many people experiencing this problem that there is no solution yet.

My events that are in my Google Calendar on the web do not show up in my Google Calendar on my Motorola Droid. I first noticed this a few weeks ago. Before that, I was having problems with getting reminders on my phone for events that I had entered in my calendar. Those are still hit or miss. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason. I have one event that I'm supposed to get a reminder for every day at the same time. Sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't.

I'm not having any problems with Gmail (thank goodness) or Contacts. This calendar issue is driving me crazy because I really depend on it.

I've tried doing the manual sync and all that but nothing works. The events are simply not showing in my calendar on my phone. Really sucks.

Is this something that Google is supposed to fix? I used to love my Droid, but it's really starting to tee me off.

Sounds to me like you need to do a factory data reset. Make sure you get rid of any task killers and virus protection before doing that. You'll need to do this out of your privacy section in your settings.

I've never had a problem with gmail, calendar, Gtalk or anything Google. If the problem happens after the reset then I would be trying to figure out what app is causing the problem. Or look for a new phone.

mamawm

Reaction score
i had this happen too. i got flustered and reentered one of the events on my phone, hit sync and all of a sudden everything was back to normal and i haven't had any more problems. i don't know why this worked for me and if it will work for anyone else but feel free to give it a try. :blink:

OP
F

ffijjitt

Reaction score
Fixed!

Thank you both for your responses. I tried mamawm's suggestion first because I was a bit scared of doing a factory reset.

When I attempted to add an event to my calendar on my phone, I got the message, "You have no calendars". I'd never seen this before because I always add events from Google Calendar online and never from my phone. So, I searched the error message on the internet and found the solution almost immediately.

I tapped the Calendar icon, brought up the menu, then tapped More, then Calendars, and there was my calendar sitting there "not synced and not visible". What the...? When did that happen? I have no idea. Maybe the last upgrade did something? I certainly didn't unsync it! So I tapped it to turn it on and voila! All my events are showing and I love my Droid again. dancedroid

Thanks again!

tedmeister

Reaction score
Not fixed for me!

I have been having such issues on and off for over a month now, still searching for solutions. So I tried this one...and indeed, the "Phone Calendar" shows "not synced, visible". But tapping on it just turns off 'Visible'. I cannot see or find anywhere to make it sync to my google calendar. Under "Settings->Accounts->gmailAcct" I have 'Sync Books', 'Sync Contacts', 'Sync Gmail', and 'Sync Calendar'. I don't use Books, but when I so a 'Sync now' the contacts syncs in a few seconds, then the Gmail syncs in a few seconds, then the calendar sync icon comes on, spins for a few seconds, then stops, then sometime later a slash through it is shown, and it sticks there forever. I have NO CLUE what is causing this, nor how to fix it, and cannot find anyone else so far with any idea.

Help!

OP
F

ffijjitt

Reaction score
Do you have a Motorola Droid (the original) like me? I don't know if you noticed this (I just noticed it myself):

When you open the Calendar, bring up the Menu, then tap More and Calendars, under the name of your calendar, the correct message should say, "synced, visible". There are actually 3 combinations so you have to keep tapping til it's on the correct one:

The three combos are:

not synced, not visible
synced, visible
synced, not visible

When it's on the correct one, both the sync symbol (spinning arrows) and the eye should be highlighted.

Hope that helps!

tedmeister

Reaction score
I have a Droid X, on Verizon. Updated to Gingerbread yesterday, hoping to fix the problem. So my combinations are a little different:

- no longer a 'More' option; the 'menu' key brings up 3 options, of which one is 'Calendars'
- in 'Calendars' I have the sync status (little eye and little sync curved arrows icon)
- The options I can see right in front of me here are:
a. not synced, visible
b. not synced, not visible
c. synced, visible
d. synced, not visible

- The entry for "Phone calendar" is 'not synced, visible'
- tapping that entry sets it to 'not synced, not visible'
- tapping again sets it back to 'not synced, visible'

The sync icon under 'Accounts' for the gmail account that shows the Calendar is 'stuck' - never goes away. In Gingerbread, the icons are VERY dim and hard to see, but it seems as if the icon in Accounts spins for a few seconds, then stops, then gets a slash through it, then never changes again. The data for last sync has not been updated since before I upgraded, three days ago.

Cindy62707

Reaction score
Droid X calendar stuck on "not synced, visible" and can't sync

I am having the exact same problem as tedmeister. I haven't added too many new appts to the calendar lately but just assumed that when I did they would show up. (I like to enter them from the PC to sync with Google Calendar which then used to sync to the Droid X).

I noticed today that information I needed for meetings this morning was not on my DroidX calendar. I had put this info in 2 days ago on the PC. I just figured I missed the sync on the first night as it was running while I was working. Then on the second night I just assumed it would pick up any that they missed.

Got to my appt today and went to my calendar for the information I had put in for the meeting. The changes still had not taken place.

Checked the phone sync settings and nothing seemed out of place from when they were working prior to this problem. But did notice that the Calendar sync option was "not synced, visible" No amount of syncing attempts I made worked. The ghost icon started spinning and then just stopped on it own for a few seconds and quits. And the date for the last successful sync was 5/27/11.

This was all working a month ago. Did one of their updates cancel the ability of the Droid to sync with Google calendar?

tedmeister

Reaction score
Cindy,
I see you use your equipment pretty much exactly the way I do: most appointments get added to my PC, sync'd to Google gmail calendar, and thence to the DroidX. I found one way to get things going again on the DX: go into Settings->Applications->Storage Use->Calendar and then clear all the data. Then it begins to sync again.

Spending way too many hours trying to troubleshoot something that should just work perfectly, since it is one of the most basic smartphone operations there is, I have discovered a number of things:

- I have found two other folks with this exact same problem
- The problem surfaced on Froyo, but seems to have gotten worse on Gingerbread
- I thought the problem was perhaps in the Calendar app, but downloading and installing Jorte doesn't get around the problem; the failure is in the sync operation, which apparently both Calendar and Jorte use the same component.
- Sync to an empty (data cleared) Calendar only syncs one month in the past, and all future events. I cannot discover any way to sync all my past events going back some years. I have other threads here on Droid Forums for this problem, and no one seems to have it solved.
- I have the sync locking up problem at least every week or two, so keep having to clear my Calendar, thus losing my event history from the phone. This problem is making me think of getting rid of the phone it is so irritating. I depend upon my appointments, and having this kind of problem is a headache I do not need.
- I thought the sync not pulling in historical events was perhaps a performance throttling from Google, but I found that on my new Mac setting up iCal, sync to gmail Calendar pulled in ALL of my Google events - back to 2005! So it doesn't look like it is all Google's issue...maybe a Verizon thing that they won't own up to?

So anyone who has a fix for these problems, please jump in. It seems quite a few folks are having these issues.

Cindy62707

Reaction score
I too want to keep my historical data. I don't like the idea of having to wipe my calendar data anytime I want the sync to work too. This is ridiculous. I'd be afraid that it might cause all the data to be wiped from google calendar and then my PC too in reverse by accident. If Verizon could screw up what we used to have then they could surely screw it up further. Wonder if this problem could void a 2 year contract to get out of a worthless smart phone HAHA!

tedmeister

Reaction score
I wish we could be so lucky, LOL

There is another Verizon/DroidX problem that after months of complaining and talking to Verizon, they finally admit exists, but blame Google for it and say it will be fixed when Google publishes an update :icon_evil:

Every so often, maybe once or twice a week for me, almost every day for a friend of mine with the DX, outbound voice calling stops working. It dials, and immediately hangs up before the call is connected. The problem clears only when Android is rebooted. Verizon suggests (as they do for every problem it seems) that a Factory Reset will 'fix' the problem. Neither myself nor my friend wishes to lose all of our settings, personalization, photos, logs, etc - so we haven't done this yet. But my friend is about to. Once he does, I'll post the results (if it fixed it, or if the fix is just more BS from Verizon).

I am less and less happy with this OS and device as time goes on. But maybe it is all just because Verizon is a crappy carrier. Not that the others are any better...

souljerr

Reaction score
I was having this problem until last night. This is what I did to fix it on my Droid.

Settings - Applications - Manage applications - All

I hit Clear data on Calendar Storage and Clear data on Calendar Sync Adapter. When I went to the calendar, it re-downloaded all of my info. Took about 15 minutes but it's all good now. :icon_ banana:

tedmeister

Reaction score
Nope, that didn't work. Or rather, it worked only partly, if at all.

Firstly - Gingerbread in the Droid X has slightly different menus; there is no Calendar Sync Adapter. There is now just a Sync Service, but also a Calendar Service. Just for good measure, I cleared data on Calendar, Calendar Storage, Sync Service, and Calendar Service. Then went into Accounts and forced a sync on my Calendar.

Just as always, the little spinning curved arrow icon indicating that it is syncing stopped after a short while (some seconds) and after 2 hours still hasn't gone away. The sync time is updated to the most recent time I looked at the Calendar, and of course my appointments in the past only go back to May 29 (one month plus one day ago). So all the past history appointments earlier than May 29 are gone. Again. Sigh.

I have no idea if it will stop sync'ing current new appointments or not. I just tried it and it works for an appointment for later tonight that I entered directly to Google Calendar on the Web, but this has been true every time I clear the Calendar data. It just stops working via sync after some days.

I really wish whoever it is who is responsible for this (Google? Verizon?) would get their act together and fix the doggoned thing.

sthsenior

Reaction score
Cindy,
I see you use your equipment pretty much exactly the way I do: most appointments get added to my PC, sync'd to Google gmail calendar, and thence to the DroidX. I found one way to get things going again on the DX: go into Settings->Applications->Storage Use->Calendar and then clear all the data. Then it begins to sync again.

I did exactly this and my DX calendar synced up fine. Let's hope I don't have to repeat this process every time I need to update my calendars. If so, I'm back to carrying my iPod Touch and syncing with Outlook and dumping Google calendar altogether.

tedmeister

Reaction score
Hope you have better luck than I, sthsenior! It took just one day for it to cease synchronizing with my google calendar again.

As far as I am concerned, this neverending situation, especially since it is happening to many folks it appears, means that this stuff is pretty much garbage. Android on Motorola phones on Verizon network anyway. Maybe other devices and/or other carriers don't have this problem, I dunno.

I see I probably should have followed the advice of some friends and gotten an iPhone instead...