Google Buzz!

cyber3d

Reaction score
An interesting post about Buzz on Louis Gray's blog:

Google Buzz Mobile Moves Beyond Latitude/Longitude

In addition to the morning's news that Google had launched Buzz as a major social push for Gmail, the company, in parallel, announced a new Web application for mobile devices, supporting both Android and iPhone platforms, that not only brings Buzz to the mobile phone, but also adds Buzz to the company's existing Maps application, showing Buzz from activity in your specific location. Leveraging the years of investments in Google Earth, Google Maps, Google StreetView and other location-based services, Google Buzz immediately ships with an advantage - determining the true identity of a location, beyond simple longitude and latitude coordinates.

As the much-hyped Foursquare and Gowalla applications have shown us over the last year, an individual's location is often as relevant as whatever activity is taking place. Google Buzz for mobile taps into the vast Earth, Maps and Street View database the company has been building over the last half-decade, and lets you post to Buzz with your update attached to the place where you are located, not just with a latitude/longitude coordinate, or even worse, an IP address.

"In the digital world, few have gotten this right," said Vic Gundotra, vice president of engineering at Google on Monday. "We don't want latitude/longitude, we want the colloquial term. We have solved this problem, of a conversation in a world of places, and mobile phones make it possible."

As Gundotra demoed to me at Google headquarters Monday on his Android-powered Google Nexus One handset, speaking into the phone made an automatic transcription, which could be posted to his Buzz, attached to the location he had selected. Tapping into Google's deep archives about places, establishments feature images of the location, details about that location, and relevant data, such as restaurant reviews, if applicable.

By selecting the "Nearby" option in his Buzz-enabled Maps application, Gundotra could also see what people were Buzzing about in the surrounding area.

The move to add geolocation is one trend that is growing for mobile applications and Twitter clients, although not many Twitter users have enabled such data sharing. If they do, and they pull their Tweets into Buzz, the product doesn't yet pull in that information to Mobile Maps, but it soon will, Gundotra promised.

gentlefury

Reaction score
I have it in my Gmail then I saw it posted here and in Google Maps on my Droid. I thought "cool! a new toy to play with!" so I posted from my phone not knowing my FULL ADDRESS would show up. That freaked me out so I deleted my post from Gmail on my computer. I think that is a BIG fubar on Google's part and hopefully will be rectified soon. I think they should just post cities then maybe north south east west...or something a bit more general.

I will admit though, I have had Wave for some time and between that & Facebook I can't see where Buzz will fit...Wave died REAL FAST in my life...Facebook is the only one that is consistent.

That is your choice....when you go to post in GMaps instead of current location choose not to show that info.

How do you choose?

If you are in maps just click the change button next to my location....choose do not show location, or change the level at which it shows your location.

DeeMat

Reaction score
If you are in maps just click the change button next to my location....choose do not show location, or change the level at which it shows your location.

When I am in maps and click the change button next to my location, I do not get an option to "not show location". Any ideas?

Anomander

Reaction score
Pretty cool program. It has been fun seeing all the buzz bubbles pop up since I first started checking earlier this evening. I will admitt I wouldn't mind a little more privacy when I use. I have my location set as unkown (atleast I think I do), but it would be nice if Buzz would only use your first name. Now to figure out how to put a profile picture up.

lschicky

Reaction score
sessionthree;212873 My friend and I use wave all the time for realtime (and nonrealtime) ongoing discussions and file exchanges. It's awesome! I REALLY hope that it eventually catches on and doesn't get dropped by google. I do think that it is confusing to at first said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_UyVmITiYQ[/url]. However, it's an hour and 20 minutes long! :icon_eek: so... most people probably won't watch that!

Wave is great, though I will admit it has a bit of a learning curve. It's still very much in the Alpha stages, but I can see the potential is has long term.

lschicky

Reaction score
Pretty cool program. It has been fun seeing all the buzz bubbles pop up since I first started checking earlier this evening. I will admitt I wouldn't mind a little more privacy when I use. I have my location set as unkown (atleast I think I do), but it would be nice if Buzz would only use your first name. Now to figure out how to put a profile picture up.

Yeah, Well I have my google profile set to just the first letter of my last name. Have had it that way since I realized google voice would show your real name from your profile.

I wish it could just localize it to a general area. Though GPS sucks in my house... one good thing about having thick brick walls from an old building.

Anomander

Reaction score
Yeah, Well I have my google profile set to just the first letter of my last name. Have had it that way since I realized google voice would show your real name from your profile.

I wish it could just localize it to a general area. Though GPS sucks in my house... one good thing about having thick brick walls from an old building.
I didn't even think about going into my Google settings and changing it. I did that and now it just shows my first name which is good enough. I know in Latitude you can mask your location, but I figure if I have something to Buzz about I'll have it do the location where I am at, just not my home address.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I tried Buzz earlier and I thought it was pretty nifty!! There was 2 guys in Antarctica! Did you all see them?

lschicky

Reaction score

I didn't even think about going into my Google settings and changing it. I did that and now it just shows my first name which is good enough. I know in Latitude you can mask your location, but I figure if I have something to Buzz about I'll have it do the location where I am at, just not my home address.

Think that is kind of the point at least when you are out and about. Though as one of my friends that I met on another localized social networking site, have discovered, we don't go out that much. Specially given the downturn in the economy. Wish they would give you more options while posting from Google Map Layers for privacy issues like on the site.

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Once they figure out the privacy (how much to share versus how little) this is going to be pretty good.
its based off your Google Profile. you need to determine what you want to SHARE and don't. there is an option to "display full name" (make it easier for people to find you) I had that checked and my full name was being displayed. I uncheck it and now I am displayed to others as Flomaster

-=Jason=-

DeeMat

Reaction score
Once they figure out the privacy (how much to share versus how little) this is going to be pretty good.
its based off your Google Profile. you need to determine what you want to SHARE and don't. there is an option to "display full name" (make it easier for people to find you) I had that checked and my full name was being displayed. I uncheck it and now I am displayed to others as Flomaster

-=Jason=-

Thanks for the tip. Even though it lets me change that setting in my profile, it still asks me to save my profile (with all my info shared by default). I will play around some more.

souljerr

Reaction score

-=Jason=-

Great advice. I went in to the settings and changed quite a bit. Actually forgot I had set up a Google profile.:icon_eek:

cisco0910

Reaction score
I'm wondering if every location that you buzz there's always going to be that bubble with the status there or is that going to change as they do some tweaking and updates. I would think that when you do a new update the old one would delete but that seems to not be the case..

edit. because if they don't deleteall the old bubbles, obviously your map going to be covered in them totally

Last edited: