Google Apps Force Close on Rooted Bionic 5.5.893

prowler1968

Reaction score
I am having an issue with my rooted Bionic. I have rooted and frozen some apps - basically just Backup Assistant, My Verizon, All the VZ and Verizon Apps, NFL, Blockbuster, Kindle, Files, and a few others.

There is a December and January update of Books and Search.

Books opens and waits about two seconds and then force closes. When I press the search button with the App drawer open, I get a force close on the Home App.

I have unfrozen all the bloat. I was able to get the books to work properly, so I don't know what would be causing the conflict there with my frozen apps, however, the search is broken with Root and no frozen apps.

Is anyone having a similar issue, or can I be pointed in the right direction? Uninstalling the updates works fine for now, but in the future, I would like to resolve this issue.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Clear cache. Download Cache Cleaner NG from market and see if that helps next time. You have to be careful when freezing apps and services. Sometimes it conflicts. I am not sure what exactly happened though.

OP
P

prowler1968

Reaction score
I rebooted into recovery and cleared the cache. I also tried to clear everything using the NG Cache Cleaner. Still have problems with the Books and Search apps.

I have defrosted all of the frozen CrApps and have been able to get Books to function properly, but still Search crashes when searching in the App Drawer.

I would like to perform a factory data reset - will I lose root if I do so? I don't care if I lose root at this point as I want to be ICS ready when that day eventually comes.

I have read many posts and don't know what is the best (current) way to get back to stock 5.5.893 - any pointers? I know with my original Droid, I was able to boot in stock recovery and apply an update.zip.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just checked my app drawer and mine crashes too when I try to search in app drawer. I usually use Adw Ex, so I didn't notice this before. I am 43v3r rooted on stock 901. It may be a glitch with the blur software. I have factory reset before an have kept root, but I am not sure if it will fix the search in app drawer error or not. *Make sure everything is totally stock and unfrozen before a factory reset though.

If you want to go back to a previous build and unroot you will have to flash a fastboot file using rsd lite from a pc I believe.

Here is a link in case things get messed up, I think it also contains the fasboot instructions too. There is also a helpful xda link: Unbrick Your Bionic Here - RootzWiki

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1328100

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just checked my app drawer and mine crashes too when I try to search in app drawer. I usually use Adw Ex, so I didn't notice this before. I am 43v3r rooted on stock 901.

The app drawer crash when doing a search was discussed on another tread and the culprit seems to be .901 itself. I'm stock unrooted with .901 and it does it to me as well.

OP
P

prowler1968

Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's direction - however, I defrosted all my bloat, factory data reset, and still had this same issue.

Next, I downloaded RSD Lite and the 5.5.893 XML ZIP and restored the phone to what I understand to be a factory fresh condition. The problems with the Google Books and Google Search persist.

I see others are having issues with the Search App. Is anyone else having a problem with the update to Google Books? If so, then it is nothing I have done and I can just let it be until there is another newer update that may address these issues. If not, am I overlooking something else? I have downloaded a couple freebies on Google
Books and can definitely do without, but I don't want this problem to persist and cause future problems as well.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
It may be a glitch with the blur software.

It appears to be a glitch in the latest Google Search update which causes the Motorola launcher to force close. Problem is, it's been this way since mid-January and it seems to be taking Google way too long to fix it.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's direction - however, I defrosted all my bloat, factory data reset, and still had this same issue.

Next, I downloaded RSD Lite and the 5.5.893 XML ZIP and restored the phone to what I understand to be a factory fresh condition. The problems with the Google Books and Google Search persist.

I see others are having issues with the Search App. Is anyone else having a problem with the update to Google Books? If so, then it is nothing I have done and I can just let it be until there is another newer update that may address these issues. If not, am I overlooking something else? I have downloaded a couple freebies on Google
Books and can definitely do without, but I don't want this problem to persist and cause future problems as well.

Go into "Manage Apps" and select Google Search. There should be an "Uninstall Updates" button. Click this, it will revert you to an older version of search which works correctly.