Google Announces New Chromecast & Chromecast Audio; Full Specs, Features, Pricing and Release Date

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I gotcha. So its useless for my portable Bose unless I can get it power. Should have given it a battery.

Tap'n Turbo

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Typically hidden, why the wacky colors, not yellow and red, but lemonade and something else...

I noticed the hdmi is the small version, it must have an adapter to original?
Correct, most HDMI ports aren't powered and weren't designed to power peripherals. That said, the newer model t.v. sets with HDMI 1.4 should be able to power streaming dongles like the new Chromecast.

Not a fan of the new look of this device, but fortunately it's hidden from sight so there's that.

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
No. Unless this has changed the original Chromecast gets its power from a micro usb connection. You have to plug it into a USB port as well as the HDMI.
Oh you're right. I was remembering what I read wrong when I bought it. You don't have to plug it into the wall, you can plug it into a USB port on your TV instead to power it. But you can't turn the Chromecast on from your Android device this way since it won't have power until the TV itself is on. My bad.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up.

Offers - Chromecast - Google

Buy a Chromecast, get $20 Google play store credits
That's the kind of deal that got me to buy my first one. Since then, I've gotten enough free movie rentals and etc. that it's more than paid for itself.

I hardly ever use it with an android TV upstairs and the Xbone in the mancave, but I'm almost tempted to grab another one for $10 and having that $20 converted into money I can spend here and there on apps and games. Just don't think I can justify it to the wife.

Although, even though the upstairs TV has cast abilities, they didn't work very well the last time I tried them, so I had brought the CC up for something. The other day, I finally grabbed it to take it back downstairs and she seemed slightly offended that I wasn't leaving it so "we can view stuff on the TV"...

Hmmm...

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I just bought one. For $10 I can't turn it down.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up.

Offers - Chromecast - Google

Buy a Chromecast, get $20 Google play store credits
Ok. So, I'm at checkout and it's got the $20 listed, not to mention $5 off the $35 price. BUT, I've also got something saying I get a free movie rental as well. That's another $4-5 value. I love these damn things even if I never use them. FREE STUFF!!!

I hope they keep honoring my older CC with these offers that they pop up with from time to time. Then, I can get 2 free rentals/etc. each time.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Ok. So, I'm at checkout and it's got the $20 listed, not to mention $5 off the $35 price. BUT, I've also got something saying I get a free movie rental as well. That's another $4-5 value. I love these damn things even if I never use them. FREE STUFF!!!

I hope they keep honoring my older CC with these offers that they pop up with from time to time. Then, I can get 2 free rentals/etc. each time.
WHAT? I just bought from BB, instore pickup, and I didn't get any free movie.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
WHAT? I just bought from BB, instore pickup, and I didn't get any free movie.
Bummer dude. I bought direct from the Google Store. I think it said "Buy a Chromecast and set it up by (some date) to redeem".

Is this your first CC? Periodically, you'll want to go into the app and select to "check for offers" for each CC you have on your network. There's almost always a free movie rental along with other stuff that changes...free Music All Access trial, free trials for other apps, etc.

I bet you'll have a free rental waiting when you set that sucker up.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Mine says it should be here before Christmas. Thinking I'll wrap it up for the Mrs. if that's the case. I'm horrible. For the past 3 years, I've given her her present early and have nothing to give her ON Christmas. She's loving her new Gear Fit (I took her with me and we got what SHE wanted based on my knowledge, instead of me getting her the latest and greatest that was too big/bulky for her), but now I have nothing to put under the tree again. Haha!

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Yes first CC. I use Plex for my tv and movie viewing so I didn't see the need for a $30 device but for $10 I can't pass it up.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I bought 3 the week they were launched. Have one on every TV in the house...lol
Took one with us when we went to the beach this past weekend as you know how these hotels have nothing on the tele..

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I bought 3 the week they were launched. Have one on every TV in the house...lol
Took one with us when we went to the beach this past weekend as you know how these hotels have nothing on the tele..
That's a good idea. I should just keep this in my laptop bag. Never know when I need to stream something to a tv.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
You wanna keep one hooked up to a TV to redeem the offers. You have to be connected to it to check for offers. This is how it knows that you own one. Either that, or get it out and hook it up when you see a post here or elsewhere that there's an offer live and then pack it back up after you redeem.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I hooked it up just now. Yup, I'm bored @ 3am. I have one free movie. Guess the play credit will come in a few days.