Google ads

tblevinsmcp

Reaction score
Recently I've noticed that when I launch some applications that there is a window that takes up space at the bottom right hand corner of my application. It has a gray background, takes up half the display across the bottom, and has a blue box with a lower case "g". It always displays links to websites. I want to believe this is something to do with google but I've installed no such applications nor requested this service to my knowledge. It's become quite annoying as it's taking up screen real estate. Does anyone know if this is from google and does anyone know how to remove it?

Thank you

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Most free apps are no coming with ads...

There is an ad blocker but it eludes me at the moment.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Just an ad it sounds like, I dont use any ad killers so dont know about them, I remember reading some about them here, Im sure someone will be able to help you better..

BUMP

OP
T

tblevinsmcp

Reaction score
I recently installed the Skyfire browser, which was free. Could installing this cause these ads to pop up in other applications though? For example, in my program Calorie Counter, this bar will show up and suggest food websites. The fact that it takes up screen real estate is what is getting to me. I used to have the full screen and now it's crowded with this ad.

OP
T

tblevinsmcp

Reaction score
LoL, a free ad blocker that would replace these with their own ads? Now wouldn't that be ironic? When you do the factory reset do you lose all the content on the phone or just the applications because it's bothering me to the point where I think I will just wipe my apps and start over. If the factory reset will wipe everything I think I'm going to start uninstalling applications until I find the one that is responsible.

Skaggz

Reaction score
I think you may be confused about the ads. There is no way that one application can place ads in another application on your phone. A good portion of the free applications on the market come with ads so that the developer can get some money for his time. If you don't like the ads look for a paid version of the application.

Another option is an ad blocker. I'm not sure how the non-rooted ones work, and I doubt they do. But, the rooted ones block any internet traffic to an ad placement URL. That way the ad does not show up. Depending on how the app is coded, it may or may not display a black (or white) bar where the ad used to be.

texasPI

Reaction score
LoL, a free ad blocker that would replace these with their own ads? Now wouldn't that be ironic? When you do the factory reset do you lose all the content on the phone or just the applications because it's bothering me to the point where I think I will just wipe my apps and start over. If the factory reset will wipe everything I think I'm going to start uninstalling applications until I find the one that is responsible.

I don't think you're understanding. Free apps will sometimes have ads in them. It is up to the developer whether their apps have ads or not. What, you thought free apps were really free? If the free app has a paid option then get the paid version as they generally do not have ads.

Basically ads are offered as free with ads or paid without ads. Some of the free apps have a paid version in order for you to remove ads in the app.

Ah...I see Skaggz beat me to the punch...lol

NashvilleKit

Reaction score
My problem IS ads with the paid version of an app. A perfect example is Rocket Player. I have paid for the Pro version and I STILL get Google Ads (about a half-inch - 1 cm - high) at the bottom. I believe it has to do with Google controlling the Android system. But .. it's not on all apps, even free ones. I just don't get it! Ugh!

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
My problem IS ads with the paid version of an app. A perfect example is Rocket Player. I have paid for the Pro version and I STILL get Google Ads (about a half-inch - 1 cm - high) at the bottom. I believe it has to do with Google controlling the Android system. But .. it's not on all apps, even free ones. I just don't get it! Ugh!
Have you contacted the app developer and sked if the paid version includes ad free? Some do and some don't. I don't think it's s general "Google controls Android" issue. The two apps I pay for specifically state that paying for the app includes 100% ad free experience. But not all apps that charge a fee include ad free usage. Google doesn't just bomb apps with ads....the app developer allows that or they don't.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk